Anyone do a comparison between a Fatip Grande and a RazoRock Old Type?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by McGrande, Nov 10, 2018.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Reason I ask is that I dropped my Fatip Grande the other day and while it didn't break and still shaves great, the threaded post seems to have created a "dimple" in the cap. You can see it in the attached pic. (kind blurry) P1020700.JPG Dead center of the cap. Looks like someone used a nail punch on it.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing from anybody that has used both. Mainly interested in agressivness comparison between them. For the price of the RR Old Type, one can't go wrong. I'll probably end up getting another Grande sometime.

Frijolero and cliffb599 like this.
  2. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Fattip is a bit more aggresive, the old type just didnt work for me, but i only tried a few blades and did not give it much of a chance. I like razorocks product but in this case i prefered the fattip. A drop like that would have probably broke the post off the old type. For being a brass razor the price on a fattip cant be beat. While shaving the razorock old type took more cleanup passes and didnt get as close as the fattip, but its definately more forgiving then a fattip.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help because I haven't used the RazoRock. But I have to ask. How did this thing land to produce a concave dimple like that? Seems backwards.

4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Fatip razor but I do have a Schone Open Comb, which is made by Fatip and from what I've heard, very similar. I do also have the Razorock Old Type. Comparing those two, the Schone is a more aggressive razor. It can give me a far closer shave than the RR. I find the RR to be very mild and I find myself having to really buff a bit during touch up to get anywhere near the closeness. That said I like them both for different reasons. I'll use the RR for every day shaving since a more aggressive razor tends to give me more irritation and weepers. The Schone I'll use if I have skipped a day or two. They both look nice and feel good in the hand. Don't buy one or the other. You NEED them both.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

If the RR Old Type is similar to the Gillette thin cap Old Type, then the Fatip is quite a bit more efficient for me.

6. McGrande

I have a shelf above the toilet where I keep my razors. It just slipped out of my hand, fell onto the toilet tank top, then on down to the tile floor. It landed sort of sideways but not on the cap. It is odd that it's a dimple and not a pimple though. May have something to do with how the Fatip folks attach the threaded post?

Anyway I have a RR Old Type on order. If not efficient enough, I'll get me another Fatip as that's my favorite.

BTW I've shaved with the Fatip a few times since the drop and it's fine. I just can't stop looking at that dimple!!

7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Sorry if it is off topic.... But I recently had my eye on the Fatip "Special Edition" Piccolo that comes with both Open and Closed comb plates in a dual toned package. How does the Piccolo compare to the Grande? Would the "Special Edition" make a viable addition to not to replace, but rather compliment the damaged Grande?

8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Hey Garrett. The man who is responsible for my entry into the world of shaving with a double edge with a pif of a RR head on an Edwin Jagger DE89 handle. It is to you I owe tremendous gratitude for opening my eyes to truly classic shaving.

The RR Old Type is extremely mild. The way I see it, it is open comb in name only but shaves more like a safety bar razor. I'm guessing the Schone shaves similarly to the Fatip since it's made by Fatip and I would put the Schone as being far more efficient than the RR Old Type but slightly less efficient than the Gillette thin cap Old Type.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    gwsmallwood likes this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm in love with mine. Haven't even gotten around to trying the closed comb yet, but I will sooner or later. The V2 open comb is not so vindictive like the V1. Still plenty efficient.

I have not use the grande handle. If you have used a ball-end tech, the piccolo is very much like it. Wider and heavier by just a hair, but pretty close.
    IMG_20181111_135347.jpg

10. McGrande

Well, the verdict is in (for me anyway).

I received the RR Old Type with the bull dog handle the other day and shaved with it this past Monday. Loaded with a new Personna red blade. Whipped up some IB Amici soap and went at it. Very, very mild compared to the Grande. Adhering to my time tested technique of WTG, ATG and minor XTG (right & left cheek areas only) I could still feel a bit of stubble on my cheeks. Did another XTG pass on my cheeks but could not mow down the stubble.

Switched back to the Grande on Tuesday and got a BBS shave with minimal effort. This morning I loaded the RR OT with a new Wizamet Iridium Super and tried again as we all know some razors like certain blades over others.
    Same result. Really a lot of effort to get an OK shave with some leftover stubble. Actually did a clean-up pass with the Grande and achieved BBS. I have a tough, old (69 year old) beard and that may contribute somewhat.

For the price, the fit & finish are top notch. The handle alone is worth it! In fact, I put the bull dog handle on my RR German 37 slant. I would rcommend the RR Old Type to shavers wanting to try an open comb and don't have a wiry bunch of whiskers. Smooth and you'd probably have to go some to cut youself with it.

I did order this morning, a new Grande from Italian Barber. Crazy low Black Friday prices. I'll use my old Grande for travel.