Anyone else ever go brushless?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by bittermormon, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I spent 3 weeks using KMF brushless and had some great shaves. While I realize to some this may be blasphemy, I actually preferred not having mounds of foam on my face. I'm not throwing my brush away (I still love my Razorock Orange Jasmine soap) but for my daily, rushing out the door shave I've fallen into a nice 2 pass pattern.

Last week I used C.O. Bigelow without a brush and wow. The scent really comes through and you really feel the menthol. Much more pronounced than when I whip up a brush. I find I'm using about the same amount of cream as when I mug lather so it's not a huge waste that way either.

I'm not trying to change anyone's minds, but if you're in a rush it's worth considering. Clean up is faster too.

Does anyone else use brushless creams? I ordered some razorock gel and plan on trying that brushless too.

2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I like the feel of the brush on my face, but I may give this a try. I just recently purchased some Bigellow cream. I've tried lathering it in a bowl, and dabbing some on my face and then using the brush to lather on my face. Definitely preferred the former. For travel, doing what you suggested my be a good idea. That would eliminate having to pack a brush.

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I use brushless when I'm away on military duty. It just helps with convenience of drying out a brush when I'm on the move or can't keep my personal items out. It's all preference too, so it's not like you're doing anything against the norm.

4. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

I haven't been brushless since I started DE shaving over 3 years ago.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Yep. I use Barbasol quite frequently now days.

Leo K. and GDCarrington like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, Sheaffield's, vintage Ingram and some others all perform great. Usually use Tabac soap, though, but it won't last forever; when it's out I'll probably use my s/c pretty regularly.

Shave gels do not work for me, though.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: For me it's been closer to 5 years.

Alpha Lyra likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I use Barbasol (brushless cream) for a few days after getting the cast off from my Carpal Tunnel surgery. That made it easy to get back into the traditional shaving after 8 days with the old electric. The doctor did not want water to get into the cast so it was electric only for those eight days. For a week afterwards it was just the Barbasol until I felt like using the brush again. Soon the other hand will be operated on and the process will repeat.

9. hedonist222

hedonist222 New Member

Why would I want to?

There's very little as mesmerizing as the feel of a badger hair, Manchurian especially, touch your face.

10. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I got into DE shaving because of shaving irritation and ingrown hairs. I have not gone brushless because the brush has made a major difference in the quality of my shaves and the condition of my skin. Once I started wet shaving with a brush, soap, and DE razors, my ingrown hairs and neck irritation vanished. I had seen a couple of different dermatologists over the years, and not a sngle one ever mentioned shaving with a brush and a single edge blade! Two weeks of a brush and single blade undid 28 years of cartridge razor shaving. If running late, I would rather do 1 pass and use a brush to exfoliate and lift my whiskers, or skip the shave entirely if able to do so. Lastly, I love the feel of a brush with hot water and a great smelling soap or cream.

11. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I've been growing my beard in for the last month but I did use some Maca Root brushless the other day to clean up some spots that never really grow in fully. It wasn't bad but I have to much fun whipping up a lather and scrubbing my face with my brush to use it like that all the time.

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Brushless whenever I travel (RazoRock brushless).

13. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I have been brushless for a few years before I started wet-shaving. I didn't know much about it back then but I figured aerosols weren't the best for the face. When I started using a brush and a DE, I liked it so much I never went back. Not that I think the brushless creams are bad but to me they offered all the good slickness without much cushion or protection, so I had way more nicks and cuts. Mind you that was with carts too and I never tried with my DE. I might give it a shot on Friday (in case I'm bleeding like crazy, I have a weekend to recover!) and see what results I get.

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well, tried C.O. Bigelow cream without a brush, and it didn't turn out too well for me. Don't know if the Bigelow isn't a good choice for that, but using the same amount of cream as before, I just didn't get much lather. Also, since I am awaiting an EJ DE at Christmas, I'm still using my Schick Hydro, and the cartridge got full quickly, and was difficult to clean.

15. bittermormon

I don't get a ton of lather but it's slick, smells great, and seems to protect well for me. Oh well, to each his own. I did use my brush this morning and had a nice shave. My Razorock lavender gel showed up today and wow does it smell great. I'll probably use it tomorrow.

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

What kind of razor are you using when going brushless? I went back and saw where you had used Bigelow as well, so apparently the Bigelow can be used for that. Maybe I just didn't do a good job lathering with my hands. Plus, I don't think a cart is ideal when there is perhaps more cream than lather. Probably much easier to rinse out a DE.

17. bittermormon

I'm using an EJ DE89. I could rinsing being a problem. I apply to my beard and add some water and kind of massage it all in for about 30 seconds on my first pass.

18. Suisse

Suisse Active Member

I have done brushless shaving when I was on cartridge, when I was travelling, many times I didn't carry any canned foam and had to use normal soap, it worked as all I need was some glide but not a clean shave. Again if you are dense beard I doubt brush less shaving would work.

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I still go brushless once in a while, Molinard Rasoline. I get good shaves brushless but just prefer soaps and enjoy making brushes.