Anyone gluten-free?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Sep 2, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For the longest time I chalked this up to just another diet fad. Then I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, where the body for some reason attacks the thyroid (and who knows what else) which impairs thyroid function. Gluten is figured to be one possible/probable cause for this inflammation, which in turns sets off the immune system, affecting organs other than just the thyroid.

I recently found reason to suspect that I now have a problem with it so I've just gone 100% gluten free (or as much as is possible; wheat products are everywhere and you got to be on the lookout). I'm hoping in a few months I see an improvement in my thyroid antibody numbers, which would suggest inflammation is down and gluten was in fact the culprit. If not, I'll try something else...there's no reason an organ should attack itself...something must be causing it. Dairy and eggs are the other two possible problem areas but I'm not ready to give those up yet.

Anyone else here gluten free? How's it working out for you?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

We've been as gluten-free household for about seven years now. My youngest son was diagnosed with Celiac seven years ago (as well as Type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism and Addison's disease). My wife, by choice, has gone the GF route as well and has seen tremendous benefit for alleviating joint pain. Going gluten-free is a challenge and often expensive. We've seen our food budget costs nearly double (compare a $2 loaf of wheat bread to a smaller $4+ loaf of GF bread). I will say that there are FAR more options for GF folks than were available seven years ago. Many more restaurants now cater to GF eating and provide options. Not all are entirely safe for those with severe allergies, but awareness in the public sector is certainly growing. Supermarkets now stock a much larger number of GF options as well. My wife does quite a bit of baking (we're well stocked in GF flours) so there is savings there— plus fresh home-made baked goods, GF or not, are always a treat!
    I've gone GF for extended periods, particularly if I eat all my meals at home. For me personally, I don't notice a difference, but obviously I'm not allegric (although my wife claims that, statistically, my being Type 1 diabetic makes me more prone to developing the gluten allergy).
    My feelings on the whole GF 'fad' are this: not everyone NEEDS to be gluten-free, but the benefit overall to the 'popularity' of going gluten-free has no doubt benefited many of those who really do have an allergy. Awareness by restaurants, food markets, food providers and the general public has only been enhanced—a real boon to those who need to be GF.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That is all true. It's kind of like low carb. LC was written off at first as a dangerous fad, but then lots of people got weight and bloodwork results that could not be argued with. Slowly, the med establishment and studies have gotten on board to the point they've done the unthinkable: beginning to reverse the lethal DECADES of preaching low fat. GF is likewise catching on as more than just a fad...yeah, probably not everyone who buys it actually NEEDS it but it keeps demand up, and that's a good thing for those who do need it.

A friend at work turned me on to Glutino (Gluteno?) products. The bread is decent enough; looks white but more the unexpected texture of rye. Edible, though. I should be able to do without entirely since I've long been fairly consistent LC, but consistent is one thing I'm becoming less of as I get older.

I'm actually hoping that, if I do have a food issue, it's gluten and not dairy or eggs.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No Gluten for me. Other things too, but when I mention them somebody always feels a need to tell me I'm crazy.

mikewood, PickledNorthern and gorgo2 like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I got news for you: When you eat something and feel like hell, then stop eating it and feel better, good for you.

I went through having a kid with gut problems. More doctors than you could count. . Some wanting to cut her to pieces, some wanting to put her on drugs you wouldn't wish on anyone.

When you go on an elimination diet and it works? To Hell with anyone who tells you it's wrong. And what's right for you might not be for me. Doesn't matter. Ten years later, and all we had to do was keep a couple of foods out of her diet to avoid colon surgery at 8? You can bet I'M not gonna call you crazy.

mikewood, barbersurgeon, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Udi's makes some good stuff too, if you can find it. Pretty good breads, and really good pizza crust.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pizza is what clued me in. Big time. A few weeks ago the boss ordered in lunch, Hungry Howie's thick crust. It was really tasty and the bread sticks might be the best I've ever had. I didn't eat much but a few hours later my gut was tore up. The coworker I mentioned earlier said "Yep, sounds like you might have it too." That had never happened to me before and I know wasn't anything wrong with the pizza.

mikewood and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Our favorite is Canyon Bakehouse for GF breads, bagels and hamburger buns. CB also makes full-sized loaves ($7.95) if you want an adult-sized sandwich.
    Nobody really makes a decent hot dog bun....yet. Udi's is quite good—far better than many of those tapioca or rice flour dense bread loaves. Just wish they made larger loaves.

gorgo2 and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

We don't have a lot of options where I live. Udi's is pretty much the only good one. I will keep an eye out for CB. Thanks!

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

God knows I tried baking with every darned type of flour, and combination thereof at one point or another. This was ten years ago, and options were really slim, especially in rural MN. I used a lot of Bob's Red Mill flours.

I was lucky, and we didn't have a celiac issue. Spelt has an easier to digest gluten in it. I hand ground spelt flour for two years, every Saturday. But at least it bakes like a guy would think.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

Throughout our issues we learned that one does not have to be celiac to have gluten intolerance issues. My aunt and mother were both diagnosed celiac, so we thought right away it was our daughter's issue. Not so. But while her gut was healing from a year's worth of issues, gluten was incredibly difficult to process, and we simply avoided it. Now it is completely fine.

Partly because of the fad issue with gluten free, I think doctors really got sick of hearing about it. I know several that we saw said, "Not celiac, gluten is fine." Or words to the effect.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

According to the store locater on their website, CBs is available in dozens upon dozens of locations in MN, dependent upon your closest city or town.
    https://canyonglutenfree.com/bread/store-locator.html

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Right on Jared. So happy for your daughter too.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Celiac sprue here.

I do not eat "gluten free products." Period.

Rice
    Beans and legumes
    Vegetables
    Tons of field greens
    Olive oil
    Fish
    Birds
    Flesh of mammals only 1x weekly.

Low carb, high protein, high fat....vegetables in unlimited quantities.

Like God intended.

MMA training and treadmill are my workouts. I also do physical labor about four hours daily, 6 days per week.

6-5, 190. 43 years.

Ymmv

15. Bama Samurai

Everybody Google wheat and glyphosate. Then kiss wheat goodbye.

Thank me later.

For most people, it ain't the gluten, it's the glyphosate. And Monsanto has spent tens of millions to hide that from the populace.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Im not low carb as I eat plain oatmeal every morning, but this isn't far off from what I try to do. Lots of veggies, lots of lean protein.

You obviously have it much more under control as you are taller and about 50 lbs lighter than I am currently.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Sounds like a good plan! Carbs are OK, just limit and don't eat processed carbs. Oatmeal can have gluten, but is a "good carb form".

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Thank goodness I don't have a problem with Gluten. I've got enough to worry about as it is.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Back when I was seriously low carb I repeatedly tested steel cut oats for insulin spike/blood glucose response, and never once got a rise from them. For that reason, I count steel cut oats (and only SCO) as a low carb acceptable carb. More processed oats digest quicker and do spike, so they're to be avoided (imo).

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

All though I'm not gluten free I do enjoy many different dishes and snacks.