Anyone here like Gabels?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by chrisf8657, Sep 13, 2020.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I love their Drops of Lime - wow I love that smell! - and the Bay Rum is pretty good, goes on with a heavy clove scent but dries down to a nice Bay Rum.

What I've read is that clove scent is actually part of bay oil by itself, which I found interesting.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Clove oil and Bay oil (pimental racemosa) both contain a compound called eugenol. They each contain other, separate compounds. Perhaps that's what you seen or heard. That being said, neither is a part of the other. Clove has a woodier, more bitter scent (especially if it's from the bud, which most clove scented stuff is) than bay scent, which is from leaves. Bay to me is kind of spicier or maybe fruitier smelling. But the shared eugenol is one reason they pair so well, and why clove was an early addition to "bay rum" concoctions. I frequently add clove buds to the home made bay scented stuff I make, including hair/scalp tonic, after shaves and body freshener.
    I had a bottle of Gabels Bay Rum and agree with you. I really liked that stuff! I have heard other ppl say they love the Drops of Lime, too. Now you've got me really wanting to try it!

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

Yes! Eugenol is correct. Thank you. Thing is they list only Bay oil as the ingredient,not clove,etc.

And yes,try the limes and let me know what you think

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm confused on the clove factor-some say there isn't a clove scent(in Gabels), some that there is. The Eugenol must be what the Stephan B.R. is all about-little clove, but it's well mixed with other ingredients. One thing that attracts me about Gabels is it's nice and vintage(1932).

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

@chrisf8657 Thank You for being an enabler! I just grabbed a bottle from Appleton Barber for $5.95, and a bunch of other stuff to justify the $11.95 flat rate shipping.

6. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

If you love limes stingray you'll love the Gabels! Gotta stock up the den lol

Paul I'm kinda in the same boat as you...