Anyone know how to repair a Super Speed?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Oblio13, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

The handle of one of my '40's style drops out of it about a half inch when it's twisted to open. I wonder if there's a replaceable retaining ring or something. Google turns up nothing.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

This is a known issue and does happen from time to time. There may be a way to fix it, but I don't know what it is. I suppose you could take it apart and find out...but really, the razor should still work just fine other than the slider.

On the other hand, I think I have a donor razor that needs doors. You could take your doors off your slider and put it on the handle I have. It is not too hard to unhook the doors.

3. sffone

sffone Member

I have a razor in similar shape, so I'll be be very interested in finding out if there is a fix. I don't have a clue how it could be done, or even if it CAN be done.

4. CSL

CSL Member

Could the inner shaft be tapped or threaded & then held with a screw or bolt?

On one of my Brit Aristocrats has this arrangement.

I can send a photo if it might be helpful.

5. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I have several like that and have never had any trouble using the razor to shave. Now, if you constantly receive cuts or nicks, the razor may be bad.

v/r Oscar

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Some models can be easily disassembled. Other models are very difficult. There is a retention ring that almost disintegrates in some of these older razors. I repaired a few of them; however, I had to make my own retention ring as it is not a size I can find. It is a wider and thinner than most retention rings. The ones I made myself were either too loose and didn't hold or were too large. They hold the knob in tightly, but it is more difficult to turn. I am worried that over time, they will cause extra wear inside the barrel.

Is it worth it to try to repair? Not really, unless you just want the feeling of fixing it yourself.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures or links here at the moment. I know that there are threads about the repair process - however, they are on another forum.

7. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

That was a nice offer.

How about if we make one good razor out of our two, and sacrifice the other to disassembly, then post pics of if and how they can be repaired? I could mail you my razor or vice versa, whichever you prefer. You're welcome to keep the good razor if you like, and if you don't I'd of course be happy to.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Cool. I have one that drops completely like yours and another that drops a wee bit but nowhere near the other.

I will send you a PM and we can work out the details of who is doing what. If I am the one who fixes it, and you have no need for it, I think we should PIF it.

Attached Files:

9. Racso_MS

Looks exactly like mine. I've had no problems shaving with them.

10. dcrosso

dcrosso New Member

Gillette TTO handle repair?

If you check with Badger & Blade, I believe ONTOMAN made a tool out of a small tubing cutter to reswage the outer groove that holds the TTO shaft into the lower handle.

If I remember correctly, he regrinds the round cutter on the tubbing cutter to a radiused profile that fits the grove on the handle. You push the lower handle that falls out, into the razor handle shaft and then use the reprofiled cutter, gently tightening the cutter into the groove. Rotate the tubbing cutter/swager tool around the handle several times, tightening the tool. This action reswages the grove into the corresponding inner groove TTO part of the razor.

I don't know if I explained it right, but he has done this numerous times with success.

11. dcrosso

dcrosso New Member

gillettte TTO repair

TTO Repair Tool by ONTOMAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

If like me, you have a few TTO razors where the bottom (tto knob) etc has dropped you may be interested in this homemade tool that I created to repair this problem. This is especially common with 1940s Super Speeds etc

(see image 1)
    The bottom of the razor is held in place by the outer barrel being pressed into a groove in the inner part. Sometimes this hasn't been done deep enough and the razor has the fault as shown.

I came up with the idea of using a small copper pipe cutter and adapting to suit. What you need to do it remove the cutting wheel and blunt the edge (or you'll just cut your razor in half) by filing flat.

Image 3 shows the edge of the wheel filed flat so as not to damage the razor.

The pipe cutter I found cost around £3.00 new!

I filed down the wheel, replaced and tried on my first Super Speed - be gentle and take your time, tightening the wheel whilst turning the tool around the razor. Keep checking and after a short while, presto, the groove will be tightened down onto the inner sleeve of the razor and you are good to go.

The pictures below should explain better.

Hope this is of use

I tried to include the photos but they would not transfer over. I'm not sure how to do it. If someone that knows how to include the pictures I would appreciate it. Go to B & B Safety Razors and do a search under ONTOMAN repair tool.

12. Racso_MS

Please post the photos. I'd love to give this a try. But like most, I need pictures. :rolleyes: And the above instruction will do although I prefer instructions in French, Spanish, and Chinese. :happy102

13. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I believe it would be something like this.

Attached Files:

14. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. This'll increase the body of knowledge for all the SS owners out there.

The razor's on it way to Stingraysrock, who is going to see what he can do and PIF it if he's successful.