Anyone know of a "pure" Sandalwood aftershave? (HQ)

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tim Spencer, Apr 12, 2017.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most "affordable" sandalwood products are made of synthetic scents. "Real" Sandalwood essential oil is about $500 an ounce last I checked, which always several years ago. It only takes a drop or two to scent something, but those drops add up.

Edit:
    I know Prorazo red shave soap uses pure Sandalwood essential oil, but it is at the bottom of a list of ingredients that also include "fragrance."

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    RyX and Demidog like this.
  2. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I'm not so gung ho about pure sandalwood oil, but rather something that can blend with an expensive cologne without messing it up in the short term and fade appropriately leaving the main fragrance to do its thing.

At the moment I have WSP's Sandalwood aftershave (which didn't accomplish what I initially thought it would) and just tonight received Klar Seifen aftershave, which will be tested this weekend. I am interested in perhaps testing Fine's Santal aftershave also, but want some feedback on what it smells like.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I personally wasn't a fan of the Proraso Red. Too much "other stuff." I do have an really enjoy D.R. Harris Sandalwood. I don't know if it's pure as I've never smelled a pure Sandawood Oil. But really good to my nose, plus it has great longevity.

4. Tim Spencer

D.R. Harris is pricey though and from what some describe it's virtually a cologne/EDT type aftershave. I want to be sure the aftershave I get for this "plays nice" with my cologne for the 'short' duration (hour max) that it's around then dies off leaving just my sandalwood cologne. D.R. Harris is twice the price of expensive artisan aftershaves. I could almost hire an artisan to make me a dupe of my cologne in a custom aftershave for that cost. D.R. Harris though I have heard makes amazing smelling aftershaves, but you pay for it for sure.

5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yep, fair enough!

6. Tim Spencer

Unexpected turn of events. I will not be able to test the Klar sandalwood aftershave because the aftershave I received is not the sandalwood scent but rather Klar's "classic" scent. I had to contact Amazon for a return of the product and I ordered the "real" sandalwood aftershave and it won't be here until the end of next week.

This is unexpected and frustrating because I have two other aftershaves shipping and if they don't make it by the end of Saturday, I will not have any other sandalwood aftershaves to try. And I REALLY wanted to evaluate the Klar Seifen on Sunday. I've been waiting all week for this experiment so I can check it off the list and be able to do the next combo next Sunday. This throws off my sandalwood testing for another week. So, I'm crossing my fingers one of the other aftershaves I ordered this week arrives tomorrow on Saturday earlier than expected. Then I can test next week's planned combo this week instead.

7. Tim Spencer

I have received new competitors. PAA's Sangre De Drago (Oud & Sandalwood) and Fine's Sandalwood Absolute. They will be tested as well.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'll repost this, because it is PURE sandalwood. This is the real deal. Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 19.08.15.png

9. Tim Spencer

Woah, that stuff is a cologne. I'm trying to just do an aftershave that fades so I can combine it with my Tam Dao EDP fragrance. I'm thinking even the PAA stuff I got might be too strong. I will consider your recommendation if none of the contestants fare well. It's going to take months to fully evaluate these products to find the right combination.

10. Tim Spencer

Oh, and props for the Cyril R. Salter Sandalwood shave croap soap. I have a tub of it too for this competition and it's the best shave soap performance I've had in my life and the scent is also really good. I think everyone should own a tub of that.

brit and Primotenore like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

12. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Another vite for wsp sandalwood

Puma likes this.
  13. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

I have 3 sandalwood aftershaves and they all smell completely different! So I'm not even sure what pure would smell like.

I like the smell of the D.R. Harris but I don't know if it's "pure". It is however super strong (scent strength) so now it's more of a cologne that I use after witch hazel if going out. It smells good tho, kind of "old man" but gentlemanly.

The Geo F Trumper skin good feels nice and is slick but definitely sweeter... but smells good as well. Do NOT try the trumpet soap, it's garbage. If foams, not lather.

My third is def not what you would be looking for so I'll skip it.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

AoS's Sandalwood is NICE. But too costly for my poor blood.

15. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Proraso Red both the soap and AS have a great Sandalwood scent and sandalwood oil is an ingredient in both

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  16. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I love the Rustic Sandalwood from WSP for scent, performance, and ease of lathering. The WSP aftershave is also excellent. Simple, natural ingredients that work and a long lasting pure Sandalwood scent.

RyX likes this.
  17. Tim Spencer

I am keeping the WSP for it's own day, but I ultimately ended up picking Klar Seifen Sandalholz shave soap and aftershave. Their scent doesn't interfere with the Tam Dao EDP fragrance while, unfortunately, the WSP interferes due to a freshly-cut/sawdusty wood vibe, which is not in the Tam Dao fragrance. And that sawdust vibe sticks around for hours after the shave. So WSP wasn't a match like I assumed it would be. Klar Seifen is more of a medicinal sandalwood oil scent that is nice and vibrant during the shave and immediately after splashing on the aftershave, but quickly fades into almost nothing, which leaves the Tam Dao EDP to give off it's smell.

The deodorant I ended up picking after trying 5 different brands was the Love Myself Organics Sandalwood. It leans more like a medicinal/essential oil than sawdusty/sawmill smell. It doesn't smell overpowering and blends in the back round of the Tam Dao EDP fragrance.

The other 4 deodorants I tried:

Sam's Natural Deodorant "Sandalwood"
    - Fresh-cut wood/Sawdust/Sawmill scent and matches WSP's soap/aftershave well. So if you're a WSP Sandalwood fan, I think Sam's Natural Sandalwood Deodorant will be a good choice.

Dove Men's Care Elements Deodorant "Mineral Powder+Sandalwood" - Smells powdery and like essential oil sandalwood. "nearly" worked with my Tam Dao EDP, however, the powdery smell was just a bit 'off target' and it has a 'fresh' deodorizer smell upon application that takes like 2 hours to fade before revealing the actual smell of this deodorant.

Zion Health ClayDry Deodorant "Sandalwood" - Really didn't smell like sandalwood to me. Smelled like a spicy cologne scent that happens to have sandalwood "in there somewhere". It has a smell that you can detect, but it's not overpowering. I think this stuff would be an excellent match with Calvin Klein's Obsession for men frangrance, but it's not a match for Tam Dao EDP.

LuckyGirlBoutique's "Indian Sandalwood" - (The link says "Indian Sandalwood & Vanilla but I asked her to just do the Sandalwood by request). Unfortunately, even with just the Sandalwood it smelled just a tad too sweet and seemed too strong and interfered with the Tam Dao EDP scent, so it wasn't a match.

Luckily my search ended with the 5th deodorant I tried with Love Myself Organics "Sandalwood". Clean, almost medicinal sandalwood scent that seems to merge into the Tam Dao EDP fragrance without interference and what smell it gives off is very subtle and reserved.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to transplant my shave brush from the Spice & Wood shave set or buy a whole new brush just for this. I'm leaning towards just using an existing brush as this shave set was not originally intended to be a full set. I'll have to think this over before finalizing the set for pictures.

18. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Yeah. I just saw your earlier comment about looking for something that would give way to a good cologne. WSP AS sticks around and competes.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bumping your thread Tim @Tim Spencer. I read the discussion between you and Paul @Paul Turner about WSP Sandalwood. I have two sandalwood soaps and no matching AS. Proraso Red and Truefitt & Hill soaps are not the same scent. If the Proraso uses EO that accounts for the sharper smell. The T&F is softer with a powdery vibe. I can sense the similarity and WSP AS sounds like where I want to go - straight up woody with longevity in an alcohol based splash.

Thanks for the info! ;)

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

its my favorite sandalwood cream/soap/croap.

RyX likes this.