Anyone not like derby blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by pizzaguy, Apr 5, 2008.

1. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

I finally got to try Derby blades it was harsh , Wilkinson's felt better are Dorco's any good ?

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Maybe try another, they have always provided me with a pretty good / smooth shave.....perhaps it was a bad one?

I haven't tried a Dorco blade yet...other than a Dorko straight razor that is :D

3. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

I have found (and this could be just me) that Derby's are a bit aggressive, try them in a SuperSpeed.

The Dorco's seem to to be some what mild.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I didn't care for Derbys, but a lot of the guys seem to like them good enough.

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Derbys are great blades.
    Try one in another razor and see if your results arent better.
    I like the Slim + Derby combo very much.

6. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

I only used them in my HD I will have to try them in my SS or my slim

Thanks all

7. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

no problems with 'em - they are the only blade i use.

nice avatar pizza guy. i had a buddy out east send me some to wisconsin.

s~s

8. JimH

JimH New Member

I use them regularly in an HD while method shaving. My results were not as good when I tried them in a Progress or Fatboy.

Be sure to try another one on the chance the blade was bad.

Jim

9. AFG

AFG New Member

Derbys work great for me, Wilkinsons on the other hand are the worst blades I have ever used. Once in a great while I'll run across a Derby blade that doesn't give me a great shave but not very often.

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I used derbys for the first time in my HD late night and they werent bad. The wilkinsons worked well but they werent that sharp and required a bit of tugging around my chin area. The derbys werent as smooth as some of the other razors and didnt glide as well, they were still nice blades. I'd rate them a 7/10. They werent amazing, but they certainly get the job done.

11. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Derby was my blade of choice in my SuperSpeed until this weekend. I just tried Sputnik blades and really like them a lot.

12. JayKay

Steve, try some Astras in your SS. They are the best blades I have ever used in that razor. BBS every time. Nothings closer.

13. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Next time I order, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

14. JayKay

No problem. If you like them, somebody is selling very reasonably cases of 100 on SMF in the BST. I'm considering picking them up but I still have so many blades to try from my sample pack.

15. Luxlover

Luxlover Member

I'm with Rick on this one. The slim-adjustable and Derby blade are perfect together. It almost feels like no blade at all. Super smooth, comfortable, ultra clean, irritation free shaves.

Steve

16. greychamp

greychamp New Member

I use Derbys in a Merkur 38c. I get BBS shaves every time with three passes; WTG, XTG, ATG. Derbys are great, both in terms of quality of shave and price.

17. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

So far, Derbys are my favorite in an HD

18. Mike54

Mike54 New Member

It's amazing how each blade/razor combination has its own 'personality', isn't it? A Derby in my Merkur 23C is perfection, every time out. A Derby in a late-40's Super Speed doesn't provide me as close a shave.

A Sputnik or a Polsilver in the Super Speed gives me great results, whereas either blade in the 23C leaves me burned up.

My go-to combination is the 23C/Derby.

19. fn2shave

fn2shave New Member

Derbys are my fav blades, use them everyday.

20. same here. they seemed to make my face hurt a couple hours after the shave.