AOS coupon in WSJ

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PhilNH5, Dec 2, 2010.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

OR Wet shaving is back in the mainstream!!

I unfolded my copy of The Wall Street Journal and a cardboard advertisement fell out. I glanced down at the floor and read the print "Welcome to the brotherhood of shaving". Intrigued I picked it up. The WSJ never has inserts. Well almost never. They occasionally have insert ads for their own wine club.

The ad unfolds and inside was a $25 off coupon if you spend $75 at The Art of Shaving. Granted the ad had a pic of some Gillette cartridge razors that look strangely like bottle openers but still the focus was wet shaving.

Definitely speaks to the growing popularity of wet shaving.

Phil

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

was this actually a flyer from the paper? or was it one of the flyers that the "paper boys" put in? I know where i live were have two sets of flyers one from the paper and one they put in.

3. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

AOS has also been putting up big ads in the magazine Men's Health lately. It's too bad that I don't actually go to The Art of Shaving for any of my shave needs. I am excited to see wet shaving gear getting more attention though.

And you're right, Phil; those Gillettes do look like bottle openers.

4. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I started with AOS product and still am using it, I am however finding that is very pricey.

5. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I purchased AoS soap once. It was 26 USD. Wow. It was nice stuff but I have found better cheaper.

Some of their stuff is outright silly

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/product/52009/7

A battery powered shaving brush. It is being discussed in the brush forum currently.

But all in all the fact that AoS is paying to put inserts in newspapers is bound to be good for wet shaving.

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Art of Shaving was overpriced on many items even 10 years ago. The $700 High Mountain Badger brush and $175 horn handle Mach III come to mind, although they also had less expensive items. AOS was one of the pioneers in the upscale wetshaving business, though, and seems to have had a positive influence on things.