AP Independent/Titanium

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SterFry, Jan 6, 2023.

1. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

To those that don't know, AP shave Co now offers two "new" synthetic knots that Simpson fans will immediately recognize.

Titanium: is the same fibre found in the Chubby synthetics and is otherwise known as the "platinum" grade.

Independent: is the same fibre found in the Trafalgar synthetics and is otherwise known as the "sovereign" grade.

They both are offered in 24, 26 and 28mm sizes and in both fan and bulb shapes and with custom loft heights. Anybody that always wanted to try a chubby synthetic but wasn't willing to fork out the money, this may be an opportunity worth considering as the Titaniums can be had for $22 for just the knot alone, or $28 with a handle (really gives perspective on how overpriced Simpson brushes are). The independent fibre knots start at $13. I have both on the way and may leave a review here in the future.

ischiapp, brit, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm guessing the $28 UHD (ultra high density) titanium knots would be the ones comparable to the Simpson platinum knots, rather than the normal $22 titanium knots. Either way, very, very interesting.

I would have expected Simpson's to insist on a non-compete/exclusive distribution clause with their manufacturer. Not that such an agreement is worth more than the paper it's written on to a Chinese manufacturing company. I expect someone at Simpson's is in quite a bit of trouble, or will be, once the company finds out about it.

Anyone that pays premium badger prices for synthetic brushes deserves to be fleeced (imo), and mad props to Simpsons for pulling it off as long as they have. If that hurts anyone's feelings, too bad. Live and learn.

I do happen to think their Trafalgar brushes are fairly reasonably priced, so there's that.

SterFry, brit and macaronus like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks for the heads up! I have a travel brush that is in need of a new knot. Preferably synthetic. I may take a look at these!

SterFry and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

there were cheap Ferraris made as well,and Porche,,Range Rover,etc.one pays for the name,symbol of prestige to some, Mercedes. is another.funny how some folks will insist on buying them but bitch about the maintenance costs..:D..or spend hundreds on a toggle..;)

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. SterFry

Yeah, Trafalgars are aren't too painful on the wallet. I actually prefer them to the chubby regardless of price, too.

When I first learned of the two knots in question, it was during a time when Andrew (AP shave Co) was "trying to arrange" the acquisition of the knots. To me that does suggest that counter measures of some kind may have been put in place by Simpson... but this is entirely speculation on my part.

macaronus, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My understanding is that Simpson's makes the knots themselves from raw bundles of fibres, as opposed to buying pre-made knots like AP Shave Co. That might be where the "trying to arrange" thing was going on. He might have been trying to find a company to make the knots from the fibre.

I kind of doubt anyone would be willing to cut apart a Platinum grade brush just to check that theory out, though. Also, I have no idea if they use wheat paste glue on synthetic knots like they do on their regular knots. For that matter, I have no idea if they still use wheat paste glue on any of their knots, since the merger with Vulfix.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    macaronus and brit like this.
  7. SterFry

Simpsons website seems to think so...

"The iconic Chubby 2 handle is densely packed with our exclusively developed Platinum Grade synthetic bristle to produce the most luxurious face feel you are ever likely to encounter & explosive lathering results. "

macaronus and brit like this.
  8. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

... is very confusing.

The first Synthetic Bristle was a rock.
    The first Platinum Grade was a shame.
    Now, mixing the cards, It's Platinum Grade Synthetic Bristle.
    Which is a good knot. BTW, highly overrated. JMHO.

macaronus, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    They've drank too much of their own kool-aid. I saw one of their brushes listed as both a "high mountain" and "Manchurian." Surprised they didn't wedge "Upland White" in there too.

Someone ought to tell them High Mountain is a Plisson thing, not a Simpson's thing.

macaronus, SterFry and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

old school brits trying to enter the new world environment but trying to be exclusive at the same time.;)i am sure they still attract high end spending clients..:)

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Turning imprecision into art, and selling it dearly.
    A business model that is very British.
    And it actually holds up well.
    For centuries ...

I remember only one longest-running winning model.
    SPQR. These days, Made in Italy.
    :angelic007:

SterFry and brit like this.