applying cream with hand

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by jcr12388, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

does anybody here apply shave cream with hand? Are there any drawbacks to using your hand rather than a brush?

If you use hand, how do you apply it? how much water to add as well? thanks

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can do it although I have no first hand experience. I enjoy applying my soap/creme using the brush way to much! :) Using my hands is to much like using canned goo...:(

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The only time I use my hand is when using Barbasol. I'm sure it can be done but you won't end up with very good lather.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for the January Newbie Give-Away.

The only time I used my hand to apply shaving cream was, as Keith said above, was when I used the canned stuff. Haven't used that in years.
    Since it requires a brush to whip up the lather from a good shave soap or cream (the kind NOT in a can), I use the brush to apply the lather.

Sounds like you may be talking about brushless creams. How to use? Just follow the directions. Put some in your hand, massage onto your face.
    How much do you need? Just enough to cover the whiskers. Anything more than that is just for fun.

There are some folk out there who use and like the brushless creams. I'm not one of 'em.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den, the only time I use hand is with Nancy boy shave cream, which is brush less (but does state a brush can be used) I prefer to use that as a brushless.
    If you want to stay brushless the Nancy boy signature shave cream is fantastic I recommend it.

7. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that some softer creams can be applied by hand.

I've noticed that it's more difficult for me to get soap into the brush when using a lotion-like, soft cream like Maca Root. So, I've been doing it like this:

1. wet face,
    2. stick fingers in cream,
    3. rub into wet face,
    4. use brush to build lather on face. rubbing with the hand also, produces a pretty good lather.
    5. shave and repeat

This seems to work for me with the soft cream, but I prefer bowl or hand lathering if I can load the brush properly beforehand

8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

9. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I use KMF and Bigelow without a brush sometimes. I get my hands and face really wet and apply about an almond size. I rub it into my beard for about twenty seconds...add some more water to my hands to moisten up the lather a little more and rub into my face for another 20 seconds. I get good results with this. I like using a brush but this is faster (not a ton though) and less to clean up (also saves with time when I'm in a hurry). I still prefer to just face lather it unless I'm in a rush, but this works for me with a 2 pass shave. You'll use a bit more cream but the smell really comes through better IMO.

I've used the RazoRock Shave Gel and find it to not work as well as the creams I mentioned (it's pretty much just a pre-shave for me now). It's also harder to see where I haven't shaved yet. Same goes with Shave Secret oil.

JRod22 likes this.
  10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Grooming Lounge Shave Oil is some pretty good stuff too. I gave it up in favor of a brush and soap, but will come back to it if I'm in a hurry.

11. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I decided to go brushless and try applying the Bigelow cream by hand. Should be interesting and I hope it works well. My brush appears to be irritating my face :(

12. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I use Lucky Tiger Brushless Shave Cream and Stephan Conditioning Shave Cream now and then. These are made to be applied by hand and a brush does not help any. I prefer to use a cream that I can make a warm lather though. The 12oz size of either Lucky Tiger or Stephan Shave Creams will yield about 70 or more shaves. YMMV! Always, Gene

Leo K. likes this.
  13. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I've used Suavecito SC. Its brushless latherless. Nice a slick, good for a quick shave or when trimming up facial hair it goes on clearish.

Leo K. likes this.
  14. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

You will use 2-3 times more product if you apply cream with your hand versus using a brush.

15. Rider

Rider Member

I started de shaving travelling in India in 1998. I bought a cheap razor in a Bombay market. Rubbed on the cream with my hands and cold water shaved for 2 months. I didn't know any better. Worked pretty well but I got one nasty cut. I remember locals laughing at me joking that the girl I was travelling with has bashed me. still have the razor, used it off and on over the years. It really is a bad razor but I did not know any better.

Had a couple of cut throat shaves too. Locals gathered around in huge numbers to watch. At the end of one the guy cracked my neck and slapped the top of my head really hard. It really hurt, I have no idea why he did it but the crowd loved it.