Applying Talc After The Shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Weeper Warrior, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I started using Talc as a final step after my shave. I could find no instruction for the proper way to
    apply it. I bought a barber duster brush and was applying to my face. The same way the barber dusted off my neck. I found a better way for me was to put a small amount in my hand rub them together and apply like a liquid balm. Seems to work the best and I don't have to dust the bathroom everyday.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here who uses talc. Just wondered if there is better ways I haven't thought of yet. How do you apply your talc?

P.S. If you live in the humid south as I do and are not using talc. You have no idea how good this stuff can make you feel in the summer.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've heard some people have success with putting the powder in a sock, or in a handkerchief and tying it up. It becomes a duster you see and your just wipe it whereever you need to powder.

Hanzo and Weeper Warrior like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Have you tried a powder puff? That is what they are designed for.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  4. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I agree, a powder puff or pad would be great! They come in a huge range of sizes & styles. Another option to try is the inexpensive cotton-ball texture "cosmetic rounds" that come in packs of 50+ for a few dollars in drugstores, grocery make up sections, etc. I'll put some pics below of what they look like.

You basically want something soft, you could even trim up an old t-shirt to use. Avoid foam/spongy applicators which are better for creams. You can handwash the velour/cloth ones with shampoo.

Cosmetic rounds:
    image.jpg
    Powder puff/pad styles
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

maltedmilk, Ryan B, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  5. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I am in Louisiana and I will second that this stuff works wonders in the humid weather here. I used it all winter too though. I use a small duster I got at Sally's hair supply. It has a top that screws off and allows you to pour some talc into it. There is a button you can press that will let a good amount out of you can simply just brush it and some will come out. I will say thought that my bathroom does have to be dusted once a week. Clubman talc is great, but I think my next purchase I will be trying some TOBS talcs.

178-bplatoon and ohpaos like this.
  6. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Who knew?! You & srpavko are like Sally's pilgrims, bringing word of the cool stuff to the masses. :D

srpavko likes this.
  7. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I know right, these ladies working there look at me like I've lost my mind when I'm looking around all interested in their stuff.

srpavko and ohpaos like this.
  8. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I use the sock method. Works great. It's basically like a rosin bag.

I Call It Maize and youngunn like this.
  9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I like the rosin bag idea more than having a powder Puff. Lol

10. Weeper Warrior

The Powder Puff is probably the best but I'm single at the moment . So something looks like this [​IMG]sitting on the bathroom counter . Probably I bad idea but rosin bag is cool idea. I would not have thought of own my own. I have the same duster Facial is talking about it makes a cloud but works great. Thanks for telling me TOBS made Talc. All I have been using is Clubman and Palmolive. It's nice to know I have more options. I really wish TSD store made scented Talcs.

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I didn't know Palmolive makes a talcum? Does it smell like their shave cream or stick?

12. Weeper Warrior

Oh....I forgot to mention vintage Palmolive in the old tin. I found a tin NOS in a flea market .

13. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

For a manly container, try using a short mason jar that you can find in groceries & big box stores. (Michael54 had a post about buying some for soap.) There's space in it to keep your pad or puff in the jar.

The lids are silver colored, but you can paint or decorate the lid in a manly man fashion :p. The nice thing about mason jars over regular powder jars is that they're airtight, so you don't have to worry about leaving it in the bathroom.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Good news! :bounce017: There's a Tabac-type fragrance oil! ("type" is added to avoid litigation). You can scent your own powder! :) You can buy unscented powder or make your powder from scratch. Just do a search for homemade body powder & it will explain how to scent it.

It's best to look around/read reviews to see who sells the most authentic smelling oil. You don't need much, they're extremely concentrated.

http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/cPath/19_20_49/products_id/3828/language/me

srpavko likes this.
  15. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

It's like the first time I walked into the local sewing machine store, and asked pertinent questions. The little old lady kinda looked at me like, WTF is the big ole hairy guy doing in my shop. I'm scared! The we talked and they accepted me as one of their own. I love to sew, and refurb old sewing machines. What can I say?

KLF, maltedmilk, youngunn and 2 others like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You know, I get the same look, in the hardware store, when it's clear that I know what I'm talking about.

17. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

I am from Louisiana but live in texas now...so how does this talc help with summer time humidity?

18. Weeper Warrior

Soaks up the moisture off your face makes it feel drier and cooler. It does in other areas too......;)

ohpaos likes this.
  19. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Cool thanks!

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

South Louisiana boy here also...I've used body powder as deodorant/anti-persperant most all of my life, works great!! Only problem is like "traditional" shaving I can "NEVER" go back to an underarm stick...For an after shave face powder I use baby powder. Just put some on my hands rub them together and apply does make my face feel soo nice(dry and smooth). I like that rosin bag idea and the mason jars..In fact why not keep the bag in a mason jar? :) How exactly would you make the bag and keep the powder inside of it?

youngunn likes this.