Appreciating Boar Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fishcrow, Mar 24, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I recently bought two new boar brushes, Semogue 1460, and Vulfix 28. Both brushes came out of the packages without an overly strong piggy smell.

Both brushes have had their inaugural lathering. The Semogue tips were not scratchy initially. My predication for this brush is that will mature into a nice blossom with softer tips.

The Vulfix, is more scratchy then the Semogue. It will be interesting to see how this brush matures with use.

Both did a superb job in lathering, loading enough lather for more then four passes. I do understand that boars, out of the package wouldn't revel their true character for a few months. I waited for my Omega "48" to mature and was rewarded with a great brush.

Owning boar brushes there is a waiting period for them to mature, unlike owning a new badger. I am excited to see how these two new additions come into their own. I definitely have more Semogue boar brushes on my wish list. Wow I think I have B.B.A.D. :happy102:

wlmcad, alpla444, Johnny and 2 others like this.
  2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

You & me both Brad! I've got 3 Semogues on my wish list now. I'm currently in the process of breaking in 2 new Semogues, 1 older Semogue that I just found out was practically new when I got it (this explains so much as I thought it was broken in), a DVH boar, & another DVH boar is on the way. I'm actually enjoying the break in process. I think it may be awhile before my badgers are used again!

wlmcad likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

My everyday brush is a boar.I personally prefer them over all other brushes. A choice between a $100 badger and a well broken in Omega Pro boar and I'd take the boar. I have never been that curious about Semogue ,its hard for me to believe they can better an Omega and cost a bit more money.

wlmcad and alpla444 like this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm really liking my Omega's, it looks like 2012 is the year of the boar as there is so much chatter going on about them on all of the forums.

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

:signs011: I may at some point try a semogue, its as Kev has said just so happy with my Omega's (and my rubber set with Omega Knot. i only tried boars because of this site so many people use em, i was surprised by just how good they where esp with the price they are

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have a moustache and goatee and it's really annoying when I splay a brush and it gets soap in my goatee. It's also a slight waste of soap.

So, I like/need a shorter loft brush that when I splay it, it doesn't get into my goatee. I'd love to like a boar brush and I have one (Omeaga knot). But the loft on it is 47mm and I've learned that a boar brush that small doesn't work that well so I stick with my badger. Also, with a smaller boar, I can't get something that short with a lot of density. It just doesn't hold that much lather.

I'd love to have an Omega 48 or similar, but I seem to be kinda stuck. I'm happy to stay with my badger, but would also like to ride the piggy as well.

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I think you are really going to like that 1460. It is one of my favorites.

Hey, you've got to wash that goatee sometime. :)

wlmcad and CyanideMetal like this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have to admit I've been ignoring my badgers a bit more than usual which kind of sucks since I spent a wee bit too much on them lol. I do love my Semogue more than my Omega...

wlmcad and alpla444 like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Been using a boar hair type of brush for over sixteen years.. even used a boar paint brush for a while when there wasn't much else around. I've sampled Omegas, Wilkys, Chinese dollor store brushes and Zacharys lol. Recently I tested out a good badger brush and I've got to say that even the Zachary paint brush seemed to soften the whiskers better for me than the badger. I see the appeal of the badger and how it made an amazing lather so quickly.. don't blame people for liking them. Somehow though it just didn't work out for me.. maybe riding the pig for so long it's kinda hard to get used to something else. So it's good to see the humble boar brush getting so much attention these days.. and your right Cyanide Metal the foam does get my goat lol...

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Once you use the piggy awhile the badger takes a back seat.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Maybe we should be careful Fishcrow or we'll inadvertently start a run on the boar brush and drive up the prices lol...

wlmcad likes this.
  12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:Dwe know a secret SHHHHHHHH.

wlmcad and Slipperyjoe like this.
  13. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Come on guys, I can't afford to hoard brushes like I am Floid Blue. :)

wlmcad likes this.
  14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Johnny, stockpiling would be a better answer :happy097:

wlmcad likes this.
  15. Neolithium

I think I may need to concentrate on my boar brushes for a bit to speed up the breaking in, my badgers can have a rest while I see how good these will turn out :)

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I speeded up breaking in by soaking my boar in hot water several times in one day.
    Taking an unwanted soap in a mug and lathering the soap with boar continously for several sessions.

Seemed to speed up the breaking in of a couple of boars.

wlmcad and CyanideMetal like this.
  17. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I used boar brushes exclusively from 1992 until 2008 (I didn't know badger brushes existed until I found this place). Badgers are nice, but I still prefer boar brushes.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Neolithium

I think I may try that. I don't have any unwanted soaps but I do have a few pucks of modern Williams which is dirt cheap. Also fun to work with since I'm still working on lathering it to begin with ;)

CyanideMetal and Hanzo like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG] FLASH: Large quantities of Floid Blue disappears! Owner perplexed by visions of a barber vexing him while sleeping!

floyd for johnny1.jpg

If you see this Barber in your dreams, immediately buy more Floid Blue. It is the only way to appease him.
    That is all! [​IMG]

20. Neolithium

I should trade Semogue brushes for Floid Blue!

Johnny likes this.