Appreciating Boar Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fishcrow, Mar 24, 2012.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

What's the diff??:happy102:

2. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

You can buy three nice Semogue brushes for what a bottle of Floid Blue is going for now. :)

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:happy102: BUT, when you're done with a bottle of Blue, you have a Medieval weapon.

There's nothing like the Blue.

fishcrow likes this.
  4. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

I started out with an Omega 10005, and after almost 2 years, it is still my only brush. It has broken in very nicely. In the beginning, I was thinking about getting some sort of badger, but at this point, I find myself saying, if I wanted another brush, it would be boar. I got the boar bug.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Grick

Grick Active Member

Yeah, bought an Omega boar a few months ago. Was happy with it right from the start but now that it's broken in nicely it is even more amazing and holds plenty of lather for more than three passes. And I've been getting the closest shaves ever. My badger has been lying around idly since then. Why spend lots of money on a silvertip when a boar is just as smooth but with more backbone?

wlmcad likes this.
  6. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

I recently got a Semogue 830, I haven't noticed any smell at all. I'm still working on the break-in process but I do like the size of the know and the handle feels good in my hand. :happy088:

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

The 830 is a great brush. That and the SOC boar & badger are my favorites currently. They're also my newest but that couldn't have anything to do with it, could it?!

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

If the SOC lives up to the hype that it has...I may get the 2 band badger version and sell off my Simpsons brushes! To me, Semogue has brushes that are such high quality but very affordably priced. Assuming I don't get rid of my badgers altogether!

9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

So far Justin, the SOCs are not disappointing. Expecting them to continue to improve with use means that I believe the hype around these brushes completely.

10. Neolithium

Sounds promising then. I'm thoroughly impressed with my Semogue 1520. It's softened up nicely but hasn't sacrificed its backbone, plus the SOC price tag for a premium boar easily backhands the cost of a premium badger brush, even with some of Simpsons best pricing.

11. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Isnt that a lyric from a George Thorogood song? lol "B.B.A.D. to the bone":rofl:

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  12. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

This is all so weird to me. I have a boar and do like it but when I was more active here (been about a year, have to love winter beards) badger where the rave its funny how things flop like this.

13. Grick

Grick Active Member

The times they are a' changin'.

14. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member

I know the story about the soap in the goatee! If I were truly concerned about it, I'd order another Semogue 1460 so I could rotate 'em. It's a great little brush. Coupled with Cella an EJ89L and a Feather blade, my goatee and I are good to go I still can't believe the great performance for such a small price.

Jeff

15. Neolithium

Ok so I officially have no desire to touch my badgers anymore! IT'S MADNESS. I got my SOC Boar this afternoon and it is literally the best brush I've ever laid on my face out of 15 attempts at brushes that I tried to love. I should mention that Semogue must do something at their factory because not a single brush I've purchased from them, has the piggy smell that you occasionally get with Omega. Sorry Aaron but their knots seem better as well, blooming and becoming softer with far greater ease than any other Omega I've owned.

16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I bet if George was a fancy wet shaver he's be using only boar brushes..and of course rocking and rolling till the break of day..:cool:

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Good boar bushes are alright. To be honest with you guys, I've used boar brushes exclusively for years but I have a couple of 2 band badger brushes that I plan on appreciating. I still have a few boars around for any time I get nostalgic. Enjoy the boars they're good brushes.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm about to buy one. Or a horse hair just because.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: I rotate through about a dozen brushes; a different one each day. It's about an equal split between the number of badger and the number of boar. I don't have any problems with what happens to come up in the rotation as I use and enjoy both types.

That being said, if I could only have one type, it would be a badger.

20. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I rot
    I rotate through one brush.. the same each shave. The brush is boar and I appreciate it. I'm a minimalist...