Are any of you folks antique/vintage pocket watch gurus?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by S Barnhardt, Sep 23, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

The concept of "railroad watches" intrigues me. I need to look into it further. Just what I need, huh? Something else interesting that could cost me money I don't need to be spending! :signs131:

2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

RR watches and standard RR time developed as the result of using single tracks with trains traveling in both directions. That all watches are not the same quality resulted in standards for RR watches after loss of life and RR equipment/payloads.

The depot clock became the standard and standard deviations established for makers. The watches were at first given to the workers, but they wound up being pawned off. So, the railroad companies forced everyone to purchase their own watches with payroll deductions. These watches had to be inspected periodically. You'll see watch inspector scratches on the inside of the case. Anyone involved was expected to have the same time down to the minute.

My cousin used a Bulova Accutron early in his career. It took his train 37 minutes to make it to the side track in Delrio from Hot Springs, NC in order to allow the fast mail train access coming from Knoxville. If I remember, West to East and South to North have priority.

Below is a time table for the Queen and Crescent Route.
    Time Table.jpg

A time table for the Southern Crescent linked below:

http://streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track1/crescent197104.html

All railroad watches had to be "lever set" to avoid accidental movement of the hands on the dial.

All RR watches had to have the 12 at the stem position. Advances in metal resulted in a watch that could handle changes in temperature.
    Lever.jpg

My two RR watches, the 1901, 940 model 18 size case (left), Hamilton 1951, 992b Hamilton with Montgomery dial https://pocketwatchrepair.com/how-to/dials-2.php
    RR.jpg

ghostlife and S Barnhardt like this.
  3. S Barnhardt

Another question while this is fresh?

How to you keep/store/protect your "collectible" watches? This one has just been lying on a shelf in a cabinet with some other collectible items. I'm thinking it may warrant something a little better, since I've decided to hunt for something else to be a carryable watch. Don't want to take a chance on this one now that I know, for sure, it's something like 111 years old. Maybe find me a good, working RR watch. If I can find an affordable one.

4. Chuck Naill

I keep them in a velvet pouch with a draw string. That link I left for my watch repair would be a good source for RR watches. He has the experience, tool, and parts to keep them running. I paid $450 for the 992B and $325 for the 940.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  5. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Well, I have discovered that it's best to use them because mechanical things perform better when they get used rather than to sit motionless for long periods of time. And I've also found that nice watches are expensive to own because they should be serviced every 2-3 years. I have two Omega watches, a Speedmaster Professional and a Railmaster as well as a Rolex that I inherited from my late brother in law. Taking all three in for service is a hefty bill to say the least so I "rotate" their use like we do with razors. The two that aren't on my wrist are in a safe for a few weeks/months at a time.

There are also some cool ideas for pocket watches. I have two of them and have been considering these:
    wooden-pocket-watch-holder-display-stand-designs-ideas-wood-antique-black-with-magnifying-cover.jpg m1500.jpg

S Barnhardt likes this.
  6. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I think Tom Selleck's character "Frank Reagan" from the T.V. series Blue Bloods has a pocket watch hanging inside one of those glass domed types on his office desk. I think that looks pretty good and is where I first saw this type of pocket watch display. It keeps it functional without the risk of trying to use it as a timepiece that you'd carry around with you during the day. If it's an heirloom, that would be my preference rather than possible loss or damage from carrying it.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  7. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Well it looks like Frank Reagans' doesn't use a glass dome, but here's the idea:
    BlueBlood.jpg

S Barnhardt likes this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Engineers carried their in their bib overalls front pocket and the conductor in their vest pocket. I prefer an all leather watch strap and carry crown inwardard in a side pants pocket

9. S Barnhardt

My grandpa carried his on a braided leather cord/strap in the bib of his overalls unless it was Sunday and it was in his pants pocket. He was a lifelong farmer.

10. Chuck Naill

You can get those braided watch straps on EBay

S Barnhardt likes this.