are shaving brush stands important?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Slow Joe, May 7, 2014.

1. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I am wondering how important it is to dry your brush using a stand? I read that it is necessary in order to keep the brush in good condition, is that information correct?

GDCarrington and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Joe, I hang a couple of brushes, and stand up a couple. I've seen no difference. Just make sure the one you use is not in a cabinet or drawer while it's drying.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I have 3 brushes and 0 stands. I put them handle side down (it's flat for a reason as someone pointed out in another thread) in the bowl to dry out.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I hang one. Mainly because I added a screw eyelet to the wooden handle and now it won't stand up. All the rest I stand up.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I keep 5 brushes in one stand. When I finish using one, I wash & towel dry the wet brush, and place it 'bristle-up' on the window sill (window open for fresh air). sometimes I'll slide a tube over the brush to help maintain a tight knot & keep the bloom under control (see here). The next day, it gets swapped out for the next wet one, and is placed back into the carousel.
    I have not found a difference in the life or performance of the brush dependent upon how it drying, knot up or down.

By the way, for multiple brushes, the old-fashioned rubber stamp carousels make superb multi-brush holders. Sort of a 'Shaving Brush Merry-go-Round.' A number of TSD members here use them. They are quite handy.
    [​IMG]

Nolan1982, Adonis, Slow Joe and 2 others like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have 4 brushes and 3 stands. One brush stays in a tube in my dopp kit. Two are in my medicine cabinet on stands for daily use. 1 is in my backup cabinet in a stand to keep it out of the way. I don't know if it makes any difference.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

I hang them bristles down on an inexpensive rack that I knocked together using Frank Shaving's $1.99 Brush Stands.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Mickey

Bristle Me, Adonis, Slow Joe and 2 others like this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Not at all.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No it is not critical to the use or life of the brush, but it can help in terms of the appearance of the room and products, along with giving you a handy place to have your tools at the ready.

Chuck F, Bobcat, ObiDon and 4 others like this.
  11. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I have 4 brushes; one synthetic, 2 boar and one badger. The badger is the only one that gets hung to dry.

Troy M and GDCarrington like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011::happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

"Come now, and let us reason together.."

Great answer GDCarrington.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

Might it not depend upon how the brush is stored?

If it is thoroughly washed and as much water removed by shaking, squeezing (not pulling) and rubbing on a terrycloth towel then it does not matter if the bristles are up or down.

If it is put away wet you have an invitation to mould and, possibly, rot if the bristles are pointing up and water gathers at the base of the knot.

If it is laid on its side it might take a set and be flat on one side.

Besides, it is beautiful when freshly dried.

Mickey

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't use a stand. I cringe at what my father used to do, store the brush back in the mug when he was done with it.

@stingraysrock puts velcro dots on the bottom and hangs them from the bottom of a shelf.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

At the moment I have been drying them the HolyRollah way, a method he described a while ago in another thread, drying them bristle up by the window sill, sometimes using a cardboard tube to help the brush keep its shape. The cardboard tube really works well thanks Holyrollah for the tip.

But I also like GDCartingtons advice and get some sort of stand to keep the den a bit tidier, I like the stand in holyrollahs photo.
    Thanks again to all you gents for your wise words. Always a pleasure to be in TSD.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There is only one rule about wet/damp brushes - DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED AREA SUCH AS A CLOSET OR CABINET.

ajdhn and BigMark like this.
  18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have read that the reason you should hang the brush upside down is because letting is dry right side up will cause the water to pool in the handle and cause the hairs to rot.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mark, I have heard these same claims about brush 'root rot'—but I have yet to read or see visual evidence where this has actually occurred to a shaving brush. It makes for an interesting hypothesis, but one would think over the years, there'd be countless cases of brush root rot considering how many folks don't hang their brushes...ever! Call me 'skeptical'... ;)

20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I purchased tiny 1cm x 1cm towlettes from Italy and I use those to dry each bristle individually. I only use one tiny towlette per bristle, and each bristle gets 3 wipes away from the handle. Wipe one with the bristles pointing downward, one wipe with the bristles pointing directly sideways, and the finishing wipe with the bristles pointing upwards. I then take the used towlettes and put them into a tiny all natural bamboo hamper, tie the tiny hamper onto the leg of a homing pigeon, and let the bird go. It returns to Venice where the towlettes are laundered. About a day later I get a package in the mail with more fresh tiny towlettes. You can choose to have the tiny towlettes delivered by pigeon as well, but I find when they make their oceanic journey to Oregon that they tend to pick up a salty smell, while the ones that arrive by postal service retain a hint of the fresh laundering.