Are there any benefits to shave soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by FurryFan93, Aug 31, 2022.

1. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

Hey guys is there any benefits to using shave soap instead of saying the canned goops like barbasol?
    I'm thinking of buying me a synthetic shave brush, some proraso and a vikings revolution stainless steel shave bowl from amazon.

MR41, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You can use either one to get the job done but I find that shave soap makes my skin feel better and provides a better overall shave.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I believe the biggest benefit of shave soap over canned goo is the enjoyment factor. Shave soap makes shaving a "get to", called goo makes shaving a "have to".

jwr3265, Ursa, Lancre and 3 others like this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I find that canned goo doesn't offer as much protection as a good shave soap/cream. And I find them drying to my skin, not moisturizing.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have never had a sensation of slickness and cushion with canned goo. Not enough 'fat" content.

jwr3265, Ksblazer, Lancre and 2 others like this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Depending on the shave soap, there are ingredients that help with your skin. I haven't used the canned stuff in years, but I remember some of it drying out my skin.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

I used goo for years,but got better shaves with a soap/brush,even with carts.a lot slicker lather imo.the brush makes a big difference also,preps the beard.skin type-ie dry-oily may determine which soap you like and it's post shave benefits.

MR41 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The aerosols in the canned stuff will corrode your blades. Reason enough to switch. That being said, I do occasionally use Barbasol, it is, for the most part, comparable to a good lather with a brush.

9. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Same here. Since I got into traditional wet shaving, I've revisited Barbasol. Applied with a brush, it can be surprisingly decent.

The Colgate canned creams, now long gone, were even better with brush application.

I've noticed blade corrosion when using Gillette Foamy, but not so much with Barbasol.

DrStrange, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I’ve gotten off the canned stuff for a long time. Rather use a pick, cream any day.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@FurryFan93 I would say there are most definitely advantages to using soap & a brush, relative to canned stuff. It is slicker (assuming a good quality soap) and less likely to dry out your skin. Using a brush adds to the benefit, as it can exfoliate and lift the hairs away from your skin, yielding a closer shave.

But as with many things, it will take some learning and some trial-and-error to master technique and find soaps that suit you.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ursa and brit like this.
  12. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I'll echo what Sara-s said above: the good soaps offer a better shave and superior skincare when deployed properly.

There have been some duds on the market, too. For me, Van der Hagen's glycerin soaps don't perform as well as properly-deployed Barbasol.

Where shave soaps shine is in the sheer variety of available formulations and fragrances. Gone are the days when you could walk into the shaving needs aisle of an American or Canadian store and find Barbasol, Colgate, Edge, and Foamy in at least five different varieties each. Foamy used to make things fun with Lemon-Lime, Tropical Coconut, and Pina Colada flavors. No more.

In the space it would take to store two 11-oz cans of Barbasol, you can keep several pucks/tubs of soap, rotate them, and make shaving more fun and interesting. That's a good enough reason right there to get a collection started.

13. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I have really dry skin and my journey to traditional wet shaving started because the propellants in the canned gel made my face even more dry.
    I jumped into traditional shaving soaps/creams and using a shaving brush even while still using a cartridge razor to shave and the skin on my face was healthier (and my shaves improved).
    It was many years later before I started using DE razors (after someone challenged me to try them).

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I loved the Colgate creams. I didn't use a brush, though.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ursa and brit like this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

It was the disappearance of Colgate cans around 2008 that got me into traditional soaps and creams...

16. Paul Turner

Oh man, I thought they were gone long before that.

17. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

They may have, but '08 is when my last can got used up.

Dollar Tree was the last place around here (Michigan, USA) where Colgate cans could be found. A dollar was a ripoff price, since Kmart sold it for 69 cents... :happy068:

18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Check out Stirling Shaving Soap. It's awesome soap that's got great protection and your skin will love it. They sell some great brushes, and aftershave too. They have you covered when it comes to shaving. I highly recommend the 26mm. Synthetic Pro Shaving Brush. It works great for face, or bowl lathering.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

19. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I remember when it sold for under a dollar a can. It and Barbasol were around the same price. It does work great with a brush, followed by a splash of Skinbracer.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

20. Paul Turner

I have that brush...grea one.