Are you into shaving science?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Hello there everyone,

I hope all is going well on your side. I had a thought that I ask you all if you are into shave science? If yes, then proceed to following links and read the articles/chapters. If no, then no worries. :)

1.. P&G research on shaving and its impact on skin. The research was conducted by Cowley and Vanoosthuyze. Vanoosthuyze is head of Gillette's R&D.

2.. Chapter 21 from the book "Cosmetic Dermatology" is all about shaving and its impact on human skin. The main authors are from Cincinnati and Reading innovation centre from Gillette.

3.. An article from esquire magazine features some info on how advanced the current manufacturing process for cartridge razors has become.

I can post a lot more on this topic, but I believe it is enough for now :p

Cheers!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Nope

4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The Esquire article was an interesting read. Thanks for the link. I came away amazed at the absolute absurdity of the modern cartridge razor.

engrsaks likes this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Thanks for the posts. Very interesting reading.

engrsaks likes this.
  6. engrsaks

Then, no worries :D

7. engrsaks

ummm... don't we all? :lyrtuy5:

8. engrsaks

Yes indeed. The modern competition is so strict, one is ready to jump into rocket science and nanotechnology to keep the throne. But, at the sametime it is a marvel of science :) .

9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

And yet I wonder. All that science for nothing. Money down the drain. Still no better than the old one bladed safety razor.

Joef and engrsaks like this.
  10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Most consumers don't know how to use a DE, and those that did use them didn't know how to use them. Spring mounted blades just glide over spots, papules or whatever when a DE would slice them off. Razor bumps and in grown hairs are blamed on the modern cartridge razor, but those that shave exclusively with a DE or SE get them as well as they are caused by bacteria. Modern razors have made life easier on the whole for the majority with their convenience, cost is another matter, and as mentioned ingrown's generally a falsehood...

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  11. engrsaks

It all comes down to YMMV. Corporates can't invest this much unless there is a great amount of feedback from consumers. I still remember my initial days when I was curious to learn, how to shave properly. I came across different videos that praised classic methods (GeoF) but bashed modern ones (cartridges). The main reasons were, high priced cartridges (as if RAD is not an expenditure of money at all), low mileage and skin problems. And yes, I believed them - started with shavette then DE and then finally Fusion proglide. I've tested almost each and every iconic razor and I can see the improvement when I move towards modern razors. More science is resulting in a quick, easy, foolproof and a much more satisfying shave (at least in my case).

12. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I can see improvements, too - certainly through the Sensor. I'm even having a resurgence of appreciation for the Mach3 of late. I see a number of posts by shaving enthusiasts talking about how boring cartridge razors are, since they don't require any skill. Maybe I'm just lazy, but that's actually what I like about them. I don't find my shaving experience is diminished when using a cartridge just because the shaves are easy and comfortable. Indeed, whenever I go back to a DE, I find myself getting impatient with just how much work they require. I can certainly appreciate good DE razors in principle (I've certainly got enough of them), but in practice I keep coming back to carts.

Interesting reading, BTW. The section of the Cosmetic Dermatology book dealing with shaving just seems like a regurgitation of Gillette's advertising copy, and not what I would expect of a clinical and objective look at the effects of shaving on skin. Cowley's and Vanoosthuyze's article was much more insightful, despite being directly funded by P&G. The Esquire article really does show the lunacy of the later years of Big Shaving. I think a lot of the advancements in shaving over the decades have been positive, but in the most recent decade or so, things have gotten pretty nutty.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    engrsaks likes this.
  13. Jerry-built Hustler

Oh, and for the record, I am into shave science. I figured I would point that out, since a couple members felt compelled to post for the sole reason of telling us the opposite.

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  14. engrsaks

I have the very same attitude towards DE. I like shaving with DE razors but only when I wish to give it a go and have good amount of time on my hands. With DE shaving, I was able to tune up my techniques on cartridge razors and improve my mileage by making less strokes per pass (8 strokes only). But when I climb the ladder towards modern razors, it just gets too exciting for me. The more science I get to know behind the modern manufacturing process, the more I appreciate the shave.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The last article was really interesting to me. I actually would be willing to try the King of Shaves razor.

engrsaks likes this.
  16. tuxxdk

I have read all the posts, but this quote, I think, explains why we differ so much. I'm actually put off by too much science and technology, not only with razors, but also cars, bicycles, etc. Less is more for me, so when I see a Fusion Proglide I get an unease in my stomach, especially when I know it leads to a lesser shave, which it does for me with all those blades, lest not forget the price, which is outrageous here in Denmark.

It's interesting to read about (thanks for the links!), but it does not make me wanna buy the products, on a contrary.

Jasio78 and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  17. Jerry-built Hustler

What if it gave you a better shave? Would you eschew technology simply because it makes you uneasy, even if it works for you?

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I find anything regarding blade manufacturing to be very interesting.

19. tuxxdk

No, not nessesarily. But not for every price. Lets say the modern cartridges actually gave me a better shave, but only by a margin by 5%. I wouldn't be willing to pay the enourmously steep price for that compared to the traditional safety razor.

I was always unhappy with shaving before I tried the traditional safety razor. Not only was my Mach3 uncomfortable, it was also very expensive. It gave my irritation, cuts and didn’t last for more than 6 shaves tops before it really went downhill. I've shortly tried the Fusion with less good results.

It's "funny", now we have the 5 blades on the market, Gillette has marketed the Mach3 as for "sensitive skin". Why's that? Because less blades are better. Even Gillette knows it. I'm positive, if Gilette came up with a one-bladed Fusion model (all the gizmos from the Fusion, only 1 blade instead), it would blow all our minds away. But they don't, as it would be the same as saying "we've been lying to you all the time".

We men are so easy to impress. More power = better. Larger screen = better. Bigger speakers = better. We are so primitive. Gillette knows it. More blades? Better!

I'll go as far as claim, that if you get a better shave with a modern cartridge than with a traditional shaving set, you're doing something wrong. Alas, I live far away, so it's not exactly easy to hold a meet with beer and lather to play with the thought.

20. Jerry-built Hustler

I could just as easily claim that if you're getting cuts with a Mach3, you're doing something wrong. But where would that get us?

engrsaks likes this.