Are you into shaving science?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Schick handles are assembled by a Chinese company, as were your Gillette Profiles. All the various parts are made elsewhere and assembled then sent to a Gillette packaging plant as you have seen in Mexico for instance....

engrsaks likes this.
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Folliculitis is not an ingrown hair. It is the infection of a hair follicle. Pseudofolliculitis barbae is an ingrown hair.

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Ingrown hairs are hairs that have curled round and grown back into the skin.
    They produce raised red spots, which can sometimes become infected and turn into painful pus-filled sores.
    Ingrown hairs can be itchy and embarrassing, but they often go away on their own without having to do anything.
    Anyone can get them, but they tend to be more of a problem in people with curly or coarse hair.
    What causes them?
    Ingrown hairs have usually grown out of the skin, curled back round and re-entered the skin. Some curl back into the follicle without even exiting the skin.
    It can happen when the hair follicle becomes clogged with dead skin cells. This forces the hair inside it to grow sideways, which is much more likely to happen if the hair is already curly or coarse, and if you've recently shaved the hair.

4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Both articles were from the result of the following search word: bacteria causes ingrowns

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Very true, but can a normal person tell the difference? When complaining of razor bumps etc. Very sloppy of me, but also now relevant too...

6. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

They've got factories all over (or subcontract to them), which the article conveniently fails to mention. I've got Atra carts from China, Trac II blades from both India and Poland, Sensor Excel carts from Brazil, and Silver Blues from Russia.

But...what the article seems to be implying is that the expensive flagship models are being made at top-flight factories, such as the one in Boston, which accounts - at least in part - for the high cost of the cartridges. So far, I'm not seeing evidence that contradicts claims of location. Germany is not the US, obviously, but it's still an industrialized, Western country with presumably high worker costs. Do you know whether or not M3 or Fusion carts are made in the Vietnam factory?

engrsaks likes this.
  7. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

That is an alternative name, isn't it?

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000823.htm

Alternative Names
    Pseudofolliculitis barbae; Tinea barbae; Barber's itch

8. Jerry-built Hustler

Check your assumptions, Saad. Just because your packages of ProGlide carts say "Made in Germany," that doesn't mean that applies to all Gillette blades in every model they make. As I just said above, I've got Gillette cartridges and blades made in factories all over the world.

engrsaks likes this.
  9. engrsaks

All mach 3 cart packs in retail stores here, are also made in Germany. But I really don't know if these are made elsewhere too.

10. engrsaks

Yes it is kind of fishy. I am really confused now...

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You guy are talking WAY above my pay grade.:) All I'll say is I spent 30+ miserable, irritation/pain filled years shaving with a Trac2 razor and canned goo. Since taking up "traditional" shaving using proper preshave technique, good shave soap and a "single" blade DE razor, I've used multiple safety razor types(DE, SE, Injector), I no longer get razor burn, bumps or irritation of any kind.:happy088:

dscaver and engrsaks like this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

That article is stating that Pseudofolliculitis barbae and Folliculitis are the same. This does make life confusing for the layman...

engrsaks likes this.
  13. engrsaks

Indeed, it does.

14. engrsaks

I'll say this like I always do : What works best for you, is actually best for you. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

You will be surprised how few workers are employed in highly industrialized automated environments...

dscaver likes this.
  16. engrsaks

Oh silly me, I totally excluded all other gillette razor cartridge models from the equation. Everything makes sense again. :)

17. Jerry-built Hustler

Have you tried carts since adopting wet-shave prep methods? I commonly see cartridges linked with canned "goo," as though they're synonymous, but there's nothing that says the former has to be used with the latter.

18. Jerry-built Hustler

No I wouldn't. I have no illusions about how P&G or Gillette work. I'm attempting to suspend cynicism for the sake of the discussion, but big business is big business.

19. engrsaks

Wouldn't that make it even more costly? High grade machinery requires a specialized staff that is hired on a yearly contract basis and they really take a lot of money.

20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

One trained monkey can manage and support vast lines of robotic automation, or you negotiate on site support when you buy...