Are you into shaving science?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have. I actually used soap and a brush for a year before changing to DE. I have since moved on to straight razors. With my Mach 3, I get razor bumps on my neck. With DE or Straight, those are very much a rarity. I will say that ease of use factor of the carts is much higher than the DE or straight, but I feel the results are better with DE or Straights. As a bussiness model, I understand the desire to make money on carts. I don't see the companies acknowleging that there are other ways to shave that don't provide the same revenue stream. I have actually reached out to three different knife making companies in the US who used to make straights about making straight razors again. Thier response was a very polite "there isn't enough money in that market."

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Yes I actually have used my Trac2 since starting "traditional" shaving and Yes the shave I get with my Trac2 is MUCH better using proper preshave technique, making my lather with a quality shave soap and applying it with a brush. However after practicing "traditional" shaving with IMO proper equipment, I have been spoiled by the shaves I now get and cart shaving although better is still simply NOT near as enjoyable or close for me, as the shave I get using one of my 3 piece DE shave heads with my choice of handles and blades.:)

engrsaks likes this.
  3. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I won't call it shaving if I don't get a kick out of it. :) . As I climbed the ladder of safety razors, my shaves got better and I could see the results of well engineered razors. I love high tech shave ;)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

5. engrsaks

Umm...Ok...:confused:

6. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

The source you provided said pseudofolliculitis is an alternative name for folliculitis. Other sources make a distinction between the two.

From Wikipedia:
    Can a case of pseudofolliculitis become infected, and thus be reclassified as folliculitis? If so, are they really apples and oranges, or just different types of apples?

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. Jerry-built Hustler

From the same entry:
    I get that problem if I shave my head with a razor, and sometimes even if I use a close trimmer blade. Using clippers that leave a bit of stubble prevents the problem.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  8. engrsaks

Interestingly, the source I have provided, sees pseudofolliculitis barbae as a disorder

"Pseudofolliculitis barbae is a disorder that occurs mainly in black men. If curly beard hairs are cut too short, they may curve back into the skin and cause inflammation."

From what I can tell, Folliculitis is a broad characterization. Pseudofolliculitis nuchae and barbae are its branches.

9. Jerry-built Hustler

Folliculitis is inflammation of a hair follicle due to microbial infection (i.e., bacterial or viral). Pseudofolliculitis is inflammation of a hair follicle, not due to infection, but to some physical type of irritation or obstruction, such as an ingrown hair. That's the key difference: infection = folliculitis; no infection = pseudofolliculitis. Pseudofolliculitis is not a subset or branch of folliculitis. It is a different condition, although not entirely dissimilar. For instance, folliculitis can also be due to an ingrown hair, but only if the ingrown results in infection.

The terms nuchae and barbae refer to the location of the inflammation. Barbae is the face, specifically the beard area. Nuchae is the back of the neck. It is possible to have folliculitis barbae or nuchae, and also pseudofolliculitis barbae or nuchae. The conditions are not limited to just those two areas, either. For instance, folliculitis resulting from genital grooming would be folliculitis pubis.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Sabre and engrsaks like this.
  10. engrsaks

Now that sums up everything in a single post for a layman like me. Thanks a lot. :smiley respect:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  11. engrsaks

Alright then, time for another article. :)

slide-4-1024.jpg slide-2-1024.jpg slide-3-1024.jpg slide-4-1024 (1).jpg slide-5-1024.jpg

12. engrsaks

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/are-you-into-shaving-science.47164/page-6
    Kristina Vanoosthuyze was a Senior Scientist at Gillette

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/are-you-into-shaving-science.47164/page-6

14. Jerry-built Hustler

I was at the store the other day, and looked at the Fusion and ProGlide cartridge packs. None of them listed a country of manufacture. Hmmm...

On a related note, is there a way to tell from the packaging what color of ProGlide cartridge you're purchasing? It seems they are available both in grey and black plastic, but I can't tell which is which from the packaging, and the carts themselves aren't visible through the packaging.

15. engrsaks

Awww shoot. A picture of that cartridge pack's back would have been much more helpful. I'm puzzled right now. Because over here, all cartridge packs say "Made in Germany".

The grey plastic is for Gillette fusion Proglide Power cartridges. These cartridges have microcomb and a green lubrastrip. More expensive than manual but deliver same mileage. The black ones are Gillette fusion manual cartridges. Those don't have microcomb and have sky blue lubrastrip.

If you look closely, you will be able to tell which ones are you about to purchase.

These ones are black plastic- manual (no microcomb, sky blue lubrastrip and the pack doesn't say power)

These ones are grey plastic - power (has microcomb zoom image on the front, green lubra strip and says power)

I personally prefer the manual ones and use those on power handle. There is no difference in shaving experience or mileage, between manual and power cartridges. I usually try to purchase in bulk (packs of 6,8 and 12) because the cost per cartridge reduces significantly. If you purchase the cartridges from the first link, your cost per cartridge is $3.33 but if you purchase from Gilletteshaveclub or a pack of four, you will be paying $4.5-4.8 per cartridge.

16. Jerry-built Hustler

I didn't have a camera with me, but imagine a pack of Gillette cartridges that looks like any other, except that it doesn't have "Made in..." anywhere on it, and that will give you a pretty good idea of what I saw. That applied to all Fusion and ProGlide cartridge packs, both manual and Power.

Aha. That explains it. Thank you.

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

Is that how it looked like?

[​IMG]

You're most welcome, Sir. :)

18. Jerry-built Hustler

Something along those lines, yes. Without being able to compare the pack in the store to your picture, I can't swear it's identical, but it's pretty close.

I also think it's interesting that the Fusion and ProGlide packs are sealed plastic that has to be cut open, rather than cardboard packs that can be opened by hand. That's probably because shoplifters were getting around theft-control devices by removing the blades from the packs. The older models (Sensor, Atra, Trac II) are still in cardboard. I guess the shoplifters aren't as interested in those.

engrsaks likes this.
  19. engrsaks

These packs have RFID chips inside, right at the back of barcode :) . If anyone tries to shop lift, as soon as he goes out of computer's range without checking out, alarm will be triggered.

I am assuming that your packs are coming from the heart of Gillette's manufacturing i.e. Boston plant (I'm seriously jealous that you have access to these so conveniently). If I get to choose between German and USA made carts, I will go for USA. Following are the reasons why I think your carts are US made:

1. The gillette foamy products which were marketed by Boston used to say "made in USA". But new ones no longer say so. I don't know why though.
    2. The chinese vector cartridges (2003-2005) used to say "Made in China". But, new ones only say marketed by Gillette Shanghai.
    3. The Gillette's latest commercial "Faces behind the blades" commercial shows cartridge packs and blades going under production. :)
    4. I don't remember exactly, but there was an article that said, only two plants in the world are capable of manufacturing proglide cartridges. One is German and I am guessing other is USA.
    5. Another article by oxgadgets says that when a new razor/blade makes it through the R&D phase, the new model is sent to Boston for manufacturing. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  20. engrsaks

Hello Gents,

It seems that Gillette is progressing towards more and more smaller mesh like looped version of blades and making full use of their high tech machinery (nanotech?). These blades are flexible and will easily conform with the contours of the face without causing any razor burn, cuts etc. (as claimed by inventor).If you don't know, Gillette also intends to launch their liquid gel dispensing razor (A razor that dispenses gel while you shave with just a hydrated face). With a cartridge, having looped blades like these, I'm sure both innovations will work together perfectly in harmony and will be introduced one after another (not at sametime). Are we entering the age of no lather? Only time will tell.

Read the following patent carefully

Gillette razor blade unit.

US20140123497A1-20140508-D00000.png
    imgf0002.png

Edit: I don't know if I am connecting the dots right but I am really excited :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015