Are you into shaving science?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anybody else, but I know I'm not.

engrsaks likes this.
  3. Jerry-built Hustler

Interesting blades. I can't imagine how those are going to shave. Are they going to be an amazing advance, or just a gimmick?

Regarding gel dispensing, Norelco tried that about ten years ago with a line of their wet-dry rotary electric shavers. They partnered with Nivea, who provided the proprietary gel packs that fit the razor. I found the whole thing gimmicky. Norelco still makes them, so they weren't a total bust, but they haven't transformed the electric shaver landscape, either. Gillette has more marketing power, so they might be able to push it more and get people to buy in. I have no interest, though.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. engrsaks

I've been seeing review videos on Philips norelco shavers. Everyone says that rotary shaver is less efficient. I can imagine their shaver getting less rating even if it applies lather during the shave. Gillette, on the other hand, is into making "liquid gel" which will not clog the blades. If Gillette does launch meshed blade cartridges, they might be able to push shaving brushes out of the equation. The looped blades in the patent are said to be flexible (one of the properties of shaving brush bristles) and can serve the role of both brush and blade at the same time.

Sometimes when I'm in a super hurry, I apply lather and shave simultaneously. The hand with shaving foam first applies the lather and razor (held by other hand) immediately follows it, shaving that particular section where I just applied the lather. Its like making a stroke with both hands (one hand with lather other with razor). I don't really enjoy these shaves but the results are always good. :)

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  5. Jerry-built Hustler

They did that a long time ago. Most men no longer use a shaving brush, or traditional soap or cream. Those are niche/enthusiast products, much like DEs, and aren't likely to be affected much by Gillette's latest gizmo designed to hold onto market share.

CyanideMetal and engrsaks like this.
  6. engrsaks

True, true indeed.

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thought the drawing of a looped blade looked like a cheese grater?

8. Jerry-built Hustler

Funny you should say that. Here is a response I wrote yesterday but never posted, which was saved as a draft in the reply window.

engrsaks likes this.
  9. engrsaks

No doubt on this blade looking like a cheese grater. Gillette claims that "shaving load (force generated between razor and skin during the shave)" will be lesser than current approaches (Proglide, I guess?), resulting in increased comfort. Oh well, speculation will get us nowhere. We need to wait and see whether Gillette even considers this for production.

10. engrsaks

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

12. engrsaks

tuxxdk likes this.
  13. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks Saad for the articles, I've been enjoying all of them! It's perfect with a coffee in the morning while I contemplate my next Gillette shave!

engrsaks likes this.
  14. engrsaks

15. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Very interesting info and a lively debate....nice gentleman....i know there are some cart shavers here, im glad i stumbled into DE shaving. I could never get a close shave with my carts and i tried all kinds of them and i hated spending $ on the replacement blades....early on the price wasnt too bad but it got way too expensive. I never had razor burn or ingrowns with carts, but it did make my skin look a little gray/dry....now with DE i get exceptionally close, the skin looks and feels better and even though i sometimes incur costs due to RAD...its not something i dred. Also i have gone nearly a year without buying anything and ive been attempting to move into a more minimalist approach with gear and shaving....having said that the most important thing for me is that this once laborious chore is now something i enjoy....but if carts gives you the best stock up on the carts!

engrsaks, tuxxdk and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. engrsaks

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    PLANofMAN likes this.