ARKO appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think Arko may be the most 'disputed' shaving soap there is.
    People either love it or hate it (and it's scent). :)

Personally I absolutely love Arko and once I figured out I needed have my face really wet before applying the stick to my face (I face lather) it has consistently given me fantastic lather - thick, slick and protective.
    As a 'bonus' I'm one of "those" that actually like the scent a lot.

For less than $2 for a stick Arko is a fantastic value for money if you are fortunate enough to enjoy it.

[​IMG]

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup, Arko is great. Especially considering its amazingly decent price. But I love my other soaps and creams too much to 'stick' to Arko only. ;)

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh I agree - variety is the spice of life - or in this case shaving ;)

macaronus likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Count me in on performance and price. And scent... after it has aired out for a good while.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Does this count?
    [​IMG]

I've enjoyed the Ice Mint Arko cream…..:happy088:

6. richgem

Or as I try to convince an elderly Irish woman I know, spice is the variety of life. Alas, it falls on deaf ears. (I mean would a pinch of even just salt be so bad? :( )

macaronus likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I must admit I didn't even know Arko made an 'icy version' :)

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It beats the pants of Proraso's green cream IMHO. Better performance, cheaper price and not quite so mainstream - what's not to love? (The Ice Mint cream that is...) :)

I'm also a big fan of the Arko stick. I grate it and bowl lather it. Never disappoints me. I have it stockpiled, should eBay break down :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm with tuxxdk on the Arko stick. I smash it in a mug and bowl lather with it. Great stuff at a Great price!

newb likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's a good soap. There are others that I prefer, but for the price it is hard to beat.

I currently have a stick smooshed in an OS mug and have gone through a dozen or more sticks over the last few years. I'm kind of tired of it now

newb likes this.
  11. bexarwolf

bexarwolf Member

I just started using Arko stick and really enjoy the price, smell and lather. But, one question: once I've peeled it open, is it ok to just leave it exposed our do I need to cover it somehow? Like a dunderhead, I peeled off the paper when I opened it. Really freshens the shave cabinet but I don't want it to lose its effectiveness.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You can leave it open. It's just a bar of soap. The scent will fade more quickly if it isn't kept in a sealed container. The performance will remain good.

newb, richgem and bexarwolf like this.
  13. richgem

You will lose some scent, but that's um, a good thing. Or, you can do what I do, and store it in it's own isolation chamber. A large medicine bottle works nicely.

14. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

:signs011: :signs011: :signs011:

It's been somewhat neglected lately though as I've really been enjoying the MWF...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Great stuff at any price though IMO.

Omelmad likes this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Great for home use or travel
    It quickly whips up into a top-notch lather that works really well
    Has a nice scent
    Is very affordably priced

Arko is easy to appreciate.

Omelmad likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You won't get an argument about Arko outta me. I like the stuff.:happy108:

Omelmad likes this.
  17. Tony Stalzer

Tony Stalzer New Member

I actually enjoy the scent however when I used it I tried face lathering and it was not a comfortable shave at all. I will have to try lathering in a bowl and see if that makes a difference.

18. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

You guys don't find it drying? I like the lather and glide, and I don't mind the scent, but it sure drys out my face. I'm relegating it to summer use only.

offroad64 likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Nope, not drying at all. With the proper lather I can go without a balm, should I choose.

Omelmad likes this.
  20. richgem

Same as the Danish Penguin of Mystery here, no more drying than any other soap for me.

tuxxdk likes this.