Arko question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Medicdad417, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

This mornings shave I used my old stand by, arko stick, and notices that after my 3 pass shave my face felt very dry and sticky after I washed it off. If felt very slick through all the passes, didn't feel like it was drying out as I re wet my face and relathered. I keep my arko stick in a mug open to air and have no problems getting a good lather.

Could this dryness and sticy feeling be from not enough water, to much water, or having the soap open to air? Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I too had an Arko shave this morning. As I type my response, I notice that my face feels a bit dry as well. It think it must be the Arko. I keep mine closed up when not in use. It is a great latherer and protects, but it does seem to leave me a bit dry. I only use it twice a month so it is no big deal.
    sod150823.JPG

Omelmad likes this.
  3. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

I've been using Arko for eighteen months and had no problems with drying, if lather isn't too dry. I generally use the "Marco" method of lathering it.

4. Medicdad417

I've done several ways of lathering. Rub stick on face, rub to brush then to face, and bowl lather. Just depends on my mood that day. Today was load in the mug and strait to the face. Never had that issue till today or maybe just never paid attention till today. I still had a great shave and the dryness left after the AS hit my face.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I sometimes have this issue with Arko, but it's nothing a little ASB doesn't take care of. It could just be your prep that day or, some creams/soaps (notably the English ones) just give you a dry or tight post-shave feeling. Stickiness, is probably residue that wasn't washed off.

Lo'Gosh and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Medicdad417

Thank you. Gonna keep an eye on this. My next to shaves ate at work with cream so it will have to wen.

richgem likes this.
  7. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

Arko is heavy in my rotation and I do notice it is slightly more drying than other soaps though it doesnt bother me. I still like a bit more drying so I use an alcohol based aftershave. If I get over-dry, then a little after shave balm fixes things

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It does sound like you need to add a touch more water to your lather. That's ok. Each batch and each day is slightly different and you just have to roll with the punches to get a good lather. I find when changing soaps my first shave on the new soap is rairly my best. It usually takes mea day to get the feel for the soap and get an awesome lather. By the end of the week I have grown tired of the scent and put it back on the shelf for another in the rotation.