Arko Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LifesShort, Jan 10, 2014.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I know that Arko soap has been discussed many times, but I just used it for the first time and thought I would add a mini review. I received this soap in a PIF from Ryan B.

I have used Arko for the past two days and have gotten fantastic results. On the first day, I used too much water and my lather was a little thin. It still provided very good slickness and adequate cushion. Today, I used less water and whipped up a smooth, creamy lather. Slickness and cushion were as good as with any soap or cream I have ever used and allowed me to get a fantastic shave.

There has been much talk about the scent of Arko. I was using a sample that was taken from a stick. I don't know how long the stick had been opened, so I don't know how strong it was when first unwrapped. I can say that my sample was not overpowering in any way. It definitely has an artificial lemony scent, but I didn't find it to be objectionable. It reminded me of the smell of lemon Pledge furniture polish.

I have read many comments from those that say that Arko dries out their skin. I did not find this to be the case. However, I use Cetaphil lotion both pre and post shave. The Cetaphil always takes care of any dry skin problems I may have.

I will definitely purchase a stick of Arko at some point. Because of the just so so scent, I would not use it to replace a luxury soap, but it is a very nice soap with great properties.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks for the review, Scott.
    One doesn't normally see too many actual shaving reviews on Arko—sure, there is always much discussion regarding it's scent, it's low cost—but its nice to read about the actual 'in-the-field' performance.

I have a tube of this waiting in the queue ...
    Arko Ice Mint (menthol)
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and LifesShort like this.
  3. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I love Arko Ice Mint. To me, it's better than C.O. Bigelow, and that's saying something.

4. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

That tube is awesome. I have one, and it has a quite refreshing scent. The menthol is ok, but it could be stronger. Iwill say however, it whips up one heck of a lather when face lathering.

LifesShort likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice reading such a pleasent review about Arko stick...As a bowl latherer and now full time user of Arko Stick(grated into a bowl) I agree with all of your conclusions completely..It's really good stuff at a really good price....:happy088:

Recklesstr and LifesShort like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice to read something positive about Arko. I have a stick and a tub, plus 3 different tubes. I haven't used it in awhile. Time for an Arko shave.

LifesShort likes this.