Arkoholics anonymous

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matthewoli98, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Terry, the second line of your post answered my question, I suppose.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS and Terry like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I find the citrus scent fairly nice, strong scent at first but after it sits pressed into my bowl for a few days, I kinda like the fresh soapy scent.

Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The odiferous reputation of Arko is nothing more than the mythos that pervades shaving forums.

Like MWF is hard to lather. :angelic007:

4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Aww Paul, I think it smells great!

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Ahh, I'll "work" on it.

Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My father loved the taste of limburger cheese....
    Me.... uh .... no
    tp

matthewoli98 and Frijolero like this.
  7. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

SOTD:
    The first shave with the fresh feather and what a fantastic blade. This is the second feather ive used, and if it wasnt for its high price it would be my main blade too. Perfect for speed shaves in a mild razor or a perfect BBS shave if you pair it with an agressive razor like a fatip piccolo. These blades have a reputation for "drawing blood" but as long as your technique is good and you use 0 pressure, you're highly unlikely to cut yourself. Its so sharp that i didnt even feel it shaving my whiskers and at first i thought it wasnt doing anything until i rinsed it off and realised how good these blades really are lol. BBS shave in 3 passes with 0 irritation.

Razor: Gillette super speed flare tip(UK)
    BRUSH: OMEGA 49
    Blade: feather hi-stainless(1)
    Soap: Arko shave stick
    Aftershave Balm: prep[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Ksblazer, Yehuda D, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

I used Arko exclusively for over three years but always had to use a pre shave (a simple cream like Nivea) or add some olive oil because it dried my skin out. Even though it contains paraffin, which it seems doesn't do much for me.

Also sometimes I felt like it is too alkaline and burned my face - I guess it's made for Turkish beards, which are a little thicker and a little more dense - when I asked my local kiosk vendor, a Turk in his mid 50's, he said the same thing about Arko burning his face and how he avoids it.
    YMMV of course.

Sad to say for me it's mostly Cella now.

But sometimes in summer, when it's real hot, I take out the Arko (I love the scent) and use some Turkish Kolonya or some German Pitralon Classic - such a great combo and so refreshing.

matthewoli98 and cliffb599 like this.
  9. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

DSCF0005 - Edited (6).jpg
    Arko is a staple in my rotation

Daywalker, AGHisBBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  10. Tallships

I have two favorites, Arko pressed into a bowl and Cella (kilo) both give me fantastic comfortable shaves.

11. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Turkish beards being thicker and denser......I’m not Turkish but I would say my beard fits that description - thick, dense, and very black colored. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewoli98, Daywalker and brit like this.
  12. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

It's funny, I have so many soaps that smell better, but I'm compelled to use Arko regularly. It's like those times you'd prefer a hamburger to a good steak.

AGHisBBS, Yehuda D, Ksblazer and 2 others like this.
  13. matthewoli98

Sorry for such a late reply, if you leave the stick out in a cupboard for a month or so, the scent fades to a light soapy smell, many people who love the performance but not necessarily the scent do this too.

Yehuda D likes this.
  14. matthewoli98

For sure, i have so many soaps, but i use arko at least twice a week. This holiday i bet im going to end up using arko almost exclusively.

Yehuda D and Carson West like this.
  15. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I did a full month of Arko stick back in August.

I wasn't sure if I could do it, but I did and it was easier than I thought. Seemed like my face likes this soap a lot too.

As much as I like a super creamed soap post shave feel. I notice that after a few shaves in a row with them. I get few acne spots that show up.

Use Arko and Derby stick for workday shaves. Heck even on weekends I break out the Turkish copper shave bowl and create a really nice lather.

Daywalker, cliffb599 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I saw this post during an insomnia filled night and realized that I’m an arkoholic. Both Arko soap. And Arkansas stone fan. Arko was my first hard soaps, I have gifted away many sticks of a 12 pack preaching gospel of Arko. And a few sticks in my cache. I have added a few soaps to my collection I am still a huge fan of the classic.

cliffb599 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

GREAT soap at a Fantastic price, at least last time I bought a 12 pack the price was very fair. I haven't bought soap in quite a while and Arko is all I but now. I'm a smash the stick into a storage bowl guy, I bowl lather exclusively. Right now I have one stick in the bowl and 11 sticks on standby.
    While I do wish it smelled of almond, I've never found the smell offensive, just a clean soap smell to me, I don't even notice the smell now a days. Also if you haven't tied it the aftershave is very nice IMO, citrusy. :happy088:

Ksblazer and cliffb599 like this.
  18. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

my arko ended up getting pressed into a bowl also
    cella is very similar to arko, and has almond notes

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. Tallships

Way to go Leclec. A dozen Arko bowl pressed. Cella by the kilo.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Leclec13 likes this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Finally, something I know I won't catch. lol