AS Balm VS Splash

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jason koonce, Nov 4, 2017.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I have a couple of after shave balms Aqua di gio and a sample of Soap commander respect I love the balms but am curious about the splash. I am looking into getting a jar of stirling executive man and the matching balm or splash.

what are the key differences and is one particularly better than the other?

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the differences. Splashes usually contain alcohol which can burn. Otherwise I think they pretty much work the same and are a YMMV kind of thing. I use both types, Nivea sensitive post shave balm immediately after my shave, followed by the splash of the day. :)

3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Like Eddie, I prefer to use a gel or balm first (90% of the time it's Nivea PS Balm) and then apply whatever AS / cologne I'm going to use. Ultimately, it becomes a personal ritual and whatever you enjoy most after experimentation.

Dan

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Pretty much what @178-bplatoon said, splashes contain alcohol while balms contain more moisturizers. Splashes have one benefit in that the scent should last longer than a balm.

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Alcohol disinfects but also dries out the skin. Some people use both a splash and a balm.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

6. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Not ALL aftershave splash do contain alcohol.....remember that ;)

Edit:- Some guys used aftershave splash first before applying aftershave balm or moisturising cream, some guys used aftershave balm first and than apply aftershave splash....YMMV Whatever float your boat.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    jason koonce likes this.
  7. David W650

David W650 Active Member

For the most part I've stop using aftershaves and switched to balms. To me balms, (Nivea or Lucky Tiger Face Tonic) provide better benefits to my skin than aftershaves. Plus, I've got into using colognes and both of the mentioned balms have mild scents which fade fast and don't clash with the colognes.

8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

The Proraso balm is gorgeous and leaves your skin feeling great. I use that (or Nivea) followed by an aftershave spray.

jason koonce likes this.
  9. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Kind of a hybrid option that I've used in the past is Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera aftershave. It does contain alcohol but the witch hazel negates any burn. Leaves the skin feeling smooth and refreshed.

And Dansco is spot on concerning the Proraso Balm! Great feel.

318982.jpg

jason koonce likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I alternate between aftershave balm & splashes.
    I find daily use of a splash to be too drying on my sensitive skin. Now granted, my usual go-to AS splash is rather intense (Fine's Snake Bite —pure alcohol, menthol & a bit of water) so some drying is probably to be expected.

RyX and jason koonce like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

To me, a good splash is kind of a slap in the face. I use them most of the time.

Occasionally in the winter, when I am raw from cold dry air I use a balm.

Stirling splashes are excellent, btw. They have a pretty stout dose of alcohol in them, so you get your wake up call, but they also have all that other good stuff in them: witch hazel, aloe and glycerine for that good skin care.

RyX likes this.
  12. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I use generic WH followed by Nivea AS Balm.

13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Simply because I like to try different aftershaves, I have mostly splashes, but a few balms as well. I don't get a whole lot of burn from the splashes anymore, so they're mostly for fragrance. If and when I do feel my skin get dry, a soothing balm feels great. I don't have any fancy or expensive types of either...I couldn't pick my favorite splash, but my current favorite balm is Barbasol. I like the very faint Pacific Rush scent, and if my skin is a little dry and a shave upset it a little, the Barbasol balm seems to soothe pretty quickly. I tend to be pretty heavy handed with my splashes, occasionally to Amy's chagrin, but learned early that a little balm goes a long way. 346x0f4.jpg

RyX likes this.
  14. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

From what I understand, balms are better during the winter months because they do a better job of moisturizing but splashes are better as a cleanser and astringent. Personally, I use a balm because I have sensitive skin and need the moisturizing.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. jason koonce

F324AE7B-2AB8-489E-8100-AF313BEEF98D.jpeg Ok so I went and got some Nivea post shave balm and will be also ordering a splash today. I may give it a try using both and see what happens

16. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

The Nivea is decent stuff :p I use it regularly

17. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Nivea is pretty good. There isn't much of a scent but it's great at hydrating your skin.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

18. jason koonce

I figure I will put the Nivea on first then a few minutes later I can throw the splash on. That will give me the longer lasting scent

PickledNorthern, RyX and David W650 like this.
  19. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Hope it you like it.

jason koonce likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Ditto! And I use Witch Hazel instead of lather for my clean up pass- I picked this up from WCHNU/Fuzzy, works great!

So after the WH (Thayer's Rose WH of choice) clean up pass, I use Afta Original (balm of choice) followed by the splash of the day....