Asking for direction suggestion/s with these items

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by S Barnhardt, Aug 26, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Good Day All,

First, let me say I'm really enjoying this board/forum.

I have a couple items I'd like to ask where you more astute shaving afficianados might suggest I go with these two items.

One of my weaknesses has always been "collecting" of various and sundry items. Auctions, Ebay, and other sources. In my "collecting" I've ended up with all sorts of things from the mundane such as post cards to the more odd such as a complete book of unissued stock certificates and official stamp of a defunct local organization and points in between. In all of this I came into the possession of an old razor strop and straight razor in it's box. The razor itself is toast. It's pretty much rusted away with the scales loose in the box and the largely rusted away blade with it. The strop, in my uneducated eye, doesn't look bad, but does look used with some areas that need restitching on what I would call the "handle." Since I discovered you folks, it's renewed my interest in them and has me wondering what's the best course of action for these items. I'm open to most anything from keeping them just because, to trading, to PIF, to whatever. I'm going to post a picture or so here in an effort to initiate a dialog about this. I hope!! So, here goes.............

Didn't see what I thought would be the proper forum for a question of this type hence here where it seems to be open to miscellaneous topics. Hope I'm right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    brit and wristwatchb like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice gear @S Barnhardt ! Vintage it is, too. With a bit of restoration the strop might be brought back to service. Drop a photo of the straight, too? I've seen some scrappy pieces from the 1800's polished, honed and rescaled by diehards that don't give up. At the very least someone may have a functional razor that matches the box you have.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  3. S Barnhardt

The straight is way too far gone with close to 1/3 of the blade rusted into powder. Thought the box itself might be of some use to someone. So far as the strop goes, it could surely be a project some day. Would need to school myself about such as that.

brit and RyX like this.
  4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Both you guys are braver than me. I have a slight touch of Parkinsons. I don't even like to think about what I might do to my face with a straight razor. :shocked003: I'm very content to stick with my DE and SE razors. I'll get my yah yahs watching videos of younger, less shaky folk engaging in straight razor shaving. :happy088:

brit and RyX like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

I'm with you on that Sir! I don't think I'd have the nerve to try a straight if I didn't have some hand shake. LOL

I'm just enjoying this "wet shaving journey" wherever, and however, it takes me!

brit and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh? Then y'all might enjoy this.

brit likes this.
  7. S Barnhardt

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. Perhaps, one day when my confidence level is up there, I'll give the straight thing a try. Wouldn't rule it out totally.

Thought came to mind here. My 1st wife was a hair dresser and in their cosmetology school training they were taught to do "razor cuts" with a straight razor, but the ones they used had replaceable, single edge blades, thus no stropping. Don't know if they make those now, do you?

brit and RyX like this.
  8. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Rick! You’re truly a wealth of great resources!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Commonly refereed to as a "Shavette". With the blood borne pathogens around, barbers aren't allowed to use a non-sterile razor on successive customers. When they shave a customer, the blade gets tossed and the handle cleaned. Insert a fresh sharp clean blade and on to the next customer. Plenty of guys here, me included, use them.
    "
    An old Preacher saw me show up at a couple Church Suppers with the wife who was a more regular attendee. He said,"Hang around the creek, you gonna get wet!" I've been hanging around here for a while and have picked up a few ideas. ;)

brit, ghostlife and jgreenepa like this.