Astra Superior Platinum blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by shave/brush, Aug 16, 2014.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

Often we see threads about how great a certain blade is but I just had to say how smooth & sharp the Astra SP blade is.
    When I first tried a Feather blade I thought they were the best but I noticed they work best in a mild razor. If I put it in a more aggressive razor like a Joris, I would get irritation on my neck.
    Then I tried a Personna Lab blade. I thought they were super too but in an aggressive razor I found them to cause irritation also. For me I found, the Astra SP is a very sharp and very smooth blade. It is very popular and with good reason. It is a super sharp and super smooth blade.

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Definitely in my top 3 in the slant so far. It's also become my starting blade for new razors.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I love the Astra SP's. Went through half-a-dozen before settling on them. From the ones I can remember, Merkurs, Derbys, Wilky's, Gillettes (2 types), Personnas...didn't like any of them.

burnout961 likes this.
  4. shave/brush

The Astra SP were my first 100 blade purchase.

Bristle Me and Clubman4Life like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You don't need to convince me, I've got over 1,000 of them stored up against the Shavepocalypse. ;)

RaZorBurn123, tuxxdk and Norseman like this.
  6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Definitely in my top 3! If that was the only blade left in the world, I'd be ok with that.

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That's just enough for 19 1/4 years if you use one blade a week. You definitely need more!

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    …and considering I DE-shave now about once or twice a month, I have a lifetime supply.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I am trying astra sp in my '28 new standard they give a good shave however the vidyut super-max platinum gives me a less irritation,but still very impressed with the astra.
    Take care.

10. richgem

I am feeling a bit anxious now. :D But, that number doesn't factor in the injector blades and SE blades I also have around, tho I haven't stocked these nearly as.... diligently.

macaronus likes this.
  11. shave/brush

I thought I was bad with about 320 blades. I have to catch up.

12. R-C

R-C Member

I find the Astra SP's very smooth, but only use one, three times til I toss it. Like them a lot.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Astra SPs work great for me. I am glad I was introduced to them. If I didn't have so many blades to go through now, I would probably get a 50 or 100 pack.

14. richgem

Yes, yes you do. ;)

15. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

He will handstrop the blades to make them last longer =)

macaronus likes this.
  16. richgem

for me, stropping only works with carbon blades.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  17. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

An Astra SP was the first blade I ever shaved with. I only had one along with a single 7 O'Clock Black and one Gillette Silver blue. After 3 months of DE shaving, I think I'll have to try another one. I'm still trying to figure out which of my razors I prefer and I only have two of those (prewar Canadian fat Tech w/ triangle slots and a Merkur 33c) . This blade thing could take YEARS to figure out. :(

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That's part of the fun. In the mean time I hope you have at least one that gives you good shaves until you find that one that gives you great shaves =)

19. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

GSBs and Shark Chromes have been the best so far. I thought I was going to love the Feather, but it gave up after 3 shaves. (I got 4 from the GSB and 5 from the Shark). The fun continues...

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Somehow I have 200 Astra SP's. Which I like, I just don't remember ordering them all. :eatdrink013::lam:

Omelmad likes this.