Audible Feedback vs Rigid Blade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Engblom, Oct 26, 2020.

?

What do you prefer?

1. A silent rigid blade

100.0%
  2. A loud flexing blade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

When it comes to razors there are two extremes: those razors that completely clamp and maybe even torque the blade until it is fully rigid and then those razors that clamp it at some chosen places and the blade is flexing during shave giving a loud sound. Both got their advantages: a rigid blade gives less irritation while a flexing blade gives audible feedback.

I am strongly in the rigid blade camp but I begun to wonder what the rest of the shavers think about this topic?

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

here are some examples in the gillette range i can think of..prewar tech vs post war tech and the new series long comb vs short comb.the new sc clamps the blade more rigidly with the post war tech sharing a similar clamping style.the new lc is a less rigid design with with prewar tech sharing its clamping design.i am sure many comments will follow.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Engblom like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh boy....
    I've never had a silent blade.
    I do like rigid blades though.
    Some razors make blades talk more than others do.
    That's been my experience.

tp

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

You are right in this. After I posted the poll I realized I should have written "almost silent" instead of "silent". All razors do have sound but some are silent enough that you only hear if you listen carefully while shaving in the shower, while other you hear clearly even though the shower tries it's best to drown the sound.

5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yes my Yaqi Grill is loud but efficient, the Yaqi slant tries to carry on a conversation.
    Same blade, Feathers.

tp

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.