August 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What's your choice of an adjustable for August?

1. Fatboy

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Slim

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Black Beauty

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Toggle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Schick "M"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than one

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Something else

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Dedicated Dark Sider - straights all the way!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Arko with whatever I use.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Cookies. They're real. We saw them. There's proof.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture of the Toggle, Neal!

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard!! I think you'll find that your time here will be the best time you'll ever spend in getting technique down. Use the Rule for the first 30 days then start focuses and before you know it you'll be the one giving all the advice and help to the noobs! Our "rigid forum protocols" really do apply to the Rules (one razor, blade, soap for 30 days) but once you've started I think you'll find our rigidity lacks....well....ummmmm....rigidity. Yeah, like that was a genius statement.

Great to hear the shave with the Black Beauty went well. I, too, started my first Rule on the wrong razor and it took me 5 shaves to change. Once I did it was off to the races and here I am herding cats on this thread. Don't ever be shy about asking questions, and I think you'll find us a pretty friendly, knowledgeable, and mostly sane (or sane-ish) bunch.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Whether you're ready to shave or not in September we expect to see you back. Life without the token Insane Shaving Dude is just not living!

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :thanks:

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I see you've also found a need for The Sarcasm Font. It's been proposed as a backwards leaning italics. While Forum Rules do apply to all open conversation on TSD (Am I saying you don't have to follow rules in PM's? Figure that one out on your own.) here in The 30 Day Crew we're kind of like Fight Club. There are rules and then there are Rules. No one enforces what you do in the privacy of your Shave Den but you. If you read Neal's Opening Statement it ought to make sense. So choose your gear and make your commitment to better shaves. We'll all cheer you on, offer encouragement, poke fun when we figure out where your soft spots are, and generally enjoy error free shaves while you nick and slice your way to glory! Kidding - the idea is to develop the techniques that will give you the best shaves of your life. It's incremental improvements, sometimes huge leaps when you stop doing it wrong, and generally the most relaxed conversation on all of TSD. Enjoy!

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Hi, @Robstreperous, welcome aboard! I think you'll really like it here in this corner of the forum. Neal nd Rick described this place well.

I stumbled in here in October of 2015 and finally got some decent training in making lather and using a safety razor without bloodshed. A formal 30-day Rule followed by three or four still fairly rigid Focuses had me shaving safely even with razors that would have been far too aggressive for me to touch earlier. I had all the basics I really needed within the first couple months, but I am still here for the occasional new technique tips, for the practical equipment reviews, for the conversation, and for the cookies ... assuming they ever get delivered...

Truthfully, the 30DC is the reason TSD is the only shaving forum I still regularly hang out on (or even visit at all) of all the ones I joined three years ago.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Gentlemen. The trip home was uneventful, but I saw how truly impacted my province is by 100s of fires.
    1B2C36C8-F5DA-4853-8701-1C863A459258.jpeg

8. jtspartan

Beautiful new brush, Jim. Congrats!

9. jtspartan

Well said, John.

FaceScraper, PLAla, RyX and 4 others like this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Jason!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I visited the first of the "other guys" I started out with before I found TSD. I still haven't posted 100 times there in nearly 4 years. Stuffy, they are, with no concern for helping people learn or even in shenanigans! :shocked003: And cookies? You might as well ask for caviar and champagne. It makes my heart glow just a bit knowing that the 30DC is the focus of so many people's day, at least in their love of shaving. We're kind of like legal crack around here. Once you try us you can't put us down. But - we won't rot your teeth or turn you into walking skeletons.

12. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Can't really stand the game!

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Doug, the 30DC is not the same without you! I pray you are doing well. Welcome back, my friend.

Keithmax, FaceScraper, jtface and 8 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Another excellent photo Jim. You really hit on a key element. Changing things up to solve our unique beard patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture of excellent shaving equipment.

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Jim. :happy088:

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Semper Fidelis to you my friend.

20. Robstreperous

Robstreperous Well-Known Member

Good morning all! Hey... I found even more 30 Day Rules to break this morning! Naturally, since I had such a great shave yesterday... why not throw everything out the window and start over! Serves me right. Face feels like I've been out in the sun too long.

Normally I shave in the shower after washing and shampooing. Today, since I'm headed to the gym later this morning, I decided:

- No shower.
    - Hot towel.

Then my normal
    - Ogala preshave
    - Black Beauty set at 5
    - Astra blade second shave on it.
    - Cold water rinse and alum bar.

Swapped out my Barrrister and Mann soaps for Taylor of Bond Street sandalwood soap and aftershve gel. No issues there, very nice and smooth lather with a ton of slick all the way through the shave.

The ressult is a nice and smooth shave but I'm fighting the strong desire to dunk my face in a tub of ice cream....

Back to shaving inside the shower for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.