Auto strop razor question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LKLive13, May 20, 2017.

1. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

This may be a silly question but I'm wondering if the auto strop razors have to use a special auto strop blade. I'm assuming the answer is yes since the things hardly ever sell for over $10 on eBay. I would really like to shave with one to see what it's like and I think they are pretty awesome looking razors. I still think they should be selling for at leas $10 for the cool factor! lol

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The ones with the gate that opens for the blade to be inserted use THESE blades made by Feather. Some of the early models that the blade slides in can use standard SE blades with the spine removed.

3. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

Sweet! Thanks for that info. How do you rate a shave with one of these?

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome and aggressive feeling!!

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Oy! 1) The price, and 2) only UK?

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

9. HoosierTrooper

Cost has always been a bit of an issue with these blades. They are available other places online, including Amazon, but the prices are all high. Connaught Shaving is a great place to deal with no matter where you are, and they're prices are very competitive even with shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  10. HoosierTrooper

They're fun to use occasionally, I never found that they provided any real advantage over other SE's. Cool razors that are an important link in the history of vintage razors.

If you go to www.stropper.com and enter valet in the search block they have a lot of detailed information and pictures of the various models that where made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twhite and wchnu like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They are still fun to play with. I order blades from Ebay usually. Very good aggressive feeling shaves.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very cool!!