Auto Strop/Valet Identification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ken brooks, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ken brooks

ken brooks Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    RyX and mvd like this.
  2. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Just a thought/question: would country of manufacture information have any connection to model? For example, I have a Canadian Gillette Auto Strop from when the companies were together.

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

This thread is a work in progress. @mvd - feel free to post photos or any details to help build the data.

paul M likes this.
  4. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I think this makes this razor a VC4? I don't really know much about these razors, so I am not sure if I am following the guide properly.

Thanks for posting this resource! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RyX and Primotenore like this.
  5. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Valet.JPG

paul M likes this.
  6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Valet SN.JPG

paul M likes this.
  7. paul M

paul M New Member

Still a bit confused ,nothing new there then, l have an auto strop( UK made) .Brass case. But it has two screw's holding the whole thing together .one each side of the handle. Blade is held in by a gate ,not ears so on the right side it says PAT .N63 and on the left is the no 287411 , This razor looks brand new but one of the screws fell out as soon as l brought it,and is still lost at this time. I cant believe this is pre 1904 or is it ? many thanks for any advise. By the way a Ebay UK seller is selling org unused blades 15/10/2018 .. (10) in the org unopened pack. I have brought a set but haven't opened them. the no of the new lot is....263974671023,,,but l think he has more.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

It isn't. Henry Jacques Gaisman's first razor patent is from 1904, but it doesn't resemble any known Autostrop.
    https://www.razors.click/patents/US759262/
    I wish I could put all Autostrop patents online, but I can't face the task. Gaisman had a habit of making patents really, really long and really, really boring with a lot of detailed images. Patents can be boring, but his patents are in a class of their own. It's a choice between his patents online or my sanity. I have made my choice.

paul M and jmudrick like this.
  9. ken brooks

ken brooks Member

Go to the JR LINK I provided. Apply the features I provided to Identify the razor.

paul M likes this.