Avengers End Game(No Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Rev579, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Go.
    See.
    It.

I took Rev579, Jr. to see it this evening and it was really a great movie. You should not be disappointed.

Edison Carter and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Looking forward to seeing it, hopefully this week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just like Dallas ...... it was just a dream. :happy102:

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It looks like I’ll be seeing it again this weekend!

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Saw the last one, bad experience with rude parents with too-small children for a theater, so I'll wait for the Redbox blu ray. Youngest wants to see Godzilla next week, so I'll spend my $ there instead.

I did follow some links and ended up at some secretly shot phone footage from an Endgame premier showing. About a minute's worth of different scenes. Looked like it'll be good.

And DC wept.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Rev579 likes this.
  6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

DC is like to guy who not only goes to the party without an invite, but goes not dressed for the occasion, and is more or less ignored, opting to sit in the corner, thinking about what might have been.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep.

I think of DC like an old stand-up comic who used to be the king, but whose current act consists of lifts from younger, successful comedians, so he's a complete flop because (a) he's too late to the game, (b) he's inept at copying the young guys, and (c) everyone who really wants to like him can't stand him because he has no idea what his new act is supposed to look like, so no one is pleased.

It's time for the old stand-up comic to retire and reissue his act from 1978, which most folks agree was pretty good if not his best work:

[​IMG]

DC's only remaining move: yet another re-re-reboot (yawn), or hang it up for about 20 years.

8. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

DC is getting yet another Batman actor. They are on their 3rd Superman. That’s not Aquaman. Then there is The Flash. It looks like the guy is speed skating, not running. Quicksilver, both X-men version and Avengers characters were done so much better.
    Lex Luther was miscast. Apparently so was The Joker. DC comic is living at the Mendoza line, battling under .200, while
    CMU is crushing it, whether or not you even count the Fantastic Four reboot.
    Casting Matters.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm still puzzled why it's proving impossible to do a FF movie that works. Maybe if they just play it as originally written, instead of updating, and reintroduce the Surfer and Galactus. Keep it earth-bound, early '60s, don't force humor, don't emphasize the inherent goofiness, and DO NOT go DC grim, dark and edgy. Just play it as straight and natural (!) as possible and run with it. Can't do any worse than what's already been tried.

Also, I'm probably in the minority that thinks Affleck was completely buy-able as Wayne/Batman. Other than that...meh.

10. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

The worst X-men ever was when they broke from the storyline. Final Squat was horrible. Stick to the story, it IS the life and breath of Marvel and DC. Affleck wasn’t bad, I liked Bale better. Affleck “acted” a bit too much, but Bale played the part.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

DC Looses me due to the fact that their story lines have a common theme ..... DEPRESSING. Something good will happen to the hero only to have something FAR worst kick them in the teeth. I watch tv or movies to temporarily escape from reality and feel good afterward; not to think life sucks, all your friends die horrible deaths and then you die alone. Reminds me of many movie endings in the early mid seventies like this one.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

This all said, some movies still use this format or formula to make movies.

Just my 2 cents.

:eatdrink013:

Rev579 likes this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I thought End Game was very good. A few paradoxical issues to ponder. But, very good. "I could do this all day."

Rev579 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Someone on another board noted something interesting. In general (and speaking only of the movie versions of these characters), DC's are much more dour than Marvel's -- this we know. But if you look at the given backstories, almost all of Marvel's characters, as far as we know, come from more or less happy or at least intact families, whereas all of DC's characters were broken by something or other in early childhood, resulting in deep abandonment issues (Batman), identity crises (WW, who was constantly lied to) or both (Supes/Aquaman).

In other words...it's not just that Marvel's movies tend to be lighter/happier, the characters themselves are happier people than DC's main lineup.

I thought about it and found if you take them one by one, they all pretty much consistently fall in along one line or the other, by company.

Rev579 and Enrico like this.
  14. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

The X-men have pretty hard experiences.
    Spiderman-Loss of family, living with Aunt & Uncle
    Captain America-Runt & dismissed
    Black Widow-Trained to be an Assassin as a child
    Hawkeye-Carnie after being orphaned(hooks up with Black Widow early on)
    Iron Man-Stark grew up trying to "earn" it
    Thor-Lesson in humility creates the "Hero"

Conflict and resolution is a vital element in every story-line. They all have it and the DC comic storylines are pretty good, the movie versions seem to lack continuity and a personal connection.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well...and keep in mind this is just the current Marvel and current DC films...

MCU:

ROGERS: Dad killed in WWI, mom in flu epidemic (I think) but he seems very well adjusted, making for the world's toughest 98 lb weakling.
    STARK: typical rebellious youth until parents die in a "car crash." He's an arrogant jerk and a half but loves and misses his folks.
    THOR: tough but intact and loving family unit, at least until dark elves, Hera and Thanos show up. But being Norse-ish, he rolls with it.
    BANNER: unknown, at least in this iteration.
    ROMANOFF: unknown. She's damaged for other and far worse reasons but seems to have accepted it.
    BARTON: happily married Dad until the Snap.
    DR. STRANGE: Former arrogant, self-centered a-hole, broken by circumstances.
    COL. RHODES: He's got a arc reactor-powered walking suit so he's good to go.
    ANT-MAN: don't know much at all about the movie version. Hank Pym was pretty screwed up in the comics but in the movies he isn't Ant-Man.
    GOTG: What a bunch of losers, but they're lovable losers. And they have each other.
    SPIDERMAN: kinda like Batman's backstory but he's much more at peace with the death of Uncle Ben than Wayne is about his parents. Plus, he has Aunt May.

DCCU:

SUPERMAN: abandoned by parents (for his own good, but still sent away). Plagued by identity issues for good chunk of adolescence and early adulthood.
    AQUAMAN: abandoned by Mom, angry at Mom for leaving, becomes a misfit maritime vigilante with B.O.
    WONDER WOMAN: Never quite fits, does not know who/what she really is, lied to her whole life, only finds out much later (then she comes to be okay with it).
    BATMAN: hoo boy, issues issues issues.
    FLASH: Dweeb, and Dad's a convict.
    ROBOT MAN: I don't know this character at all.

In short, Marvel's relatively normal human (and weaker) heroes aren't, by and large, damaged goods, while DC's superbeings are.

Is the overall tone of each cinematic universe reflecting this?

(sorry to jack the thread but I don't see many comic discussions on TSD)

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

So...... If bullets bounce off Superman, how DOES he get so clean shaven?

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

He flies backwards in time.

Edison Carter likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Kriptonite blades

19. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Kryptonite-infused shaving cream softens the beard. He follows it up with a lead-based AS.