Back to Basics $10 shave set up

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by OldSaw, Aug 6, 2007.

1. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

This is a copy of what I posted in another forum, but felt it was worth posting here as well. I have been a long time believer in getting started for under ten dollars and here is one of those $10 set ups.

While at the cottage this weekend I whipped up some nice lather with a cheap little puck of Burma Shave soap. While not as nice as my T&H luxury shave soap at home, it delivered a very satisfying result. It does need to be refreshed occasionally during the shave as it dries a little, but not nearly as bad as Williams. What impressed me most was how slick this stuff was. I like blade buffing and most creams and soaps just don't do it for me, but this little sucker sure did.

I also used my well worn boar bristle brush, the one in my avatar. I have raved about this old stand by in several other posts and feel it is worth repeating again. This is the first shaving brush I bought back in the early to mid eighties. It is so soft on the tips, yet still stiff enough to whip up quick lather from any soap.

For a razor, I have replaced the 1956 SS in my avatar with a 1940's SS. I was so impressed with the results of the second shave this morning, that I couldn't help but reflect on how little, (dollar-wise), that I had into this set up. A $3 brush, (over 20 years ago), $1 soap, $5 razor and 10 cent Red IP blade. I made a previous post about getting started for under ten bucks, but I believe that was using whatever razor you had been using. This set up is under ten bucks and includes the razor.

I have searched the internet and the world over looking for the perfect shave and here I get absolutely awe inspiring results with a cheap little soap, a boar brush and an old Gillette razor.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I have said it before when others post about their 3,000 dollar shave.

Col Conk 3 dollars, Burma Boar 5 dollars, Gillette Super Speed 10 dollars, Crystal blade 10 cents, Aqua Velva 5 dollars saving a boat load of cash and getting the best shave of my life........................priceless.

3. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

If one can control the urge to buy everything they see, this really is a cheap way to shave. It's the hobby part that has pushed the cost up a little for me.

While setting up this picture I was shocked at how much I have accumulated and I have been fairly resistant to any AD's. Although, most of this was bought while traveling. So that makes it alright.
    after bnb.JPG

4. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Being pretty much broke, I fully understand the value of a cheap shave. I did acquire a small amount of higher end items while I had money on my internship. Now, I pretty much stick to cheap drug store blades, my original Merkur HD, Mama Bear soap and Aqua Velva. I have a few guilty pleasures, mainly in colognes, but no Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, expensive brushes, stock piles of blades, or Floid for me.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

While I do enjoy the luxury the soaps and creams from Penhaligon's, Floris etc. give me, I do enjoy a simple, cheap shave very much. In fact, some of the best shaves I've ever had were with cheap equipment. ::

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Gentlemen, I used to spend a lot of money on stuff like the 3 T's, C&E, DR Harris, etc, etc. However, in the last couple of years, for some reason or another, I found that cheaper creams and soaps work just as well for me, and very often even better, so I've backed off the expensive stuff, and opted to go on the cheap.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

There is definitely truth to this. I get very satisfying results with cheap stuff........

But I do enjoy some pricey stuff as well.

But now on the other hand, aftershave splashes.....I'll drop major dough on those :: :rofl

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

It's funny...I have been at this wetshaving game a little over a year now. I started with a Merkur 23C long classic razor, Col. Conk boar brush and a puck of Col. Conk Bay Rum soap. And I thought, "Okay, I'm set. No more expensive cartridges, no more burn from an electric shaver...And I'll save MONEY!"

Ten or so DE razors, and now 12 or 13 straight razors later, plus some nicer soaps, creams, etc., and the "save money" part is out the window. But I still get some of the best shaves from the Gillette Tech and C&E Best Badger brush combo. I could even go back to just the Col. Conk boar brush and be satisfied.

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

While shaving cheap is nice........I don't know about you guys, but I thrive on the "variety" that I have in the 'den.

I could never do it with just ONE brush, ONE soap, ONE aftershave, blah blah blah. No matter how good the shaves were, I'd get bored after a while.

What I'm saying is that I think I prefer the cheap stuff, but I enjoy having a multitude/variety of cheap stuff to choose from ;)

But again, I'll spend the bux on splashes :D

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Ive gotta say....
    I agree with Blair.
    I started this journey cause I hated to shave and I reeeeeeelly hated spending the dough on those stupid multi-bladed, swivel-hipped thingamabobs.
    Figured....
    Hey ! I'm "old school".
    If it was good enuff for Grampa its good nuff for me. !
    Little did I know.........

TJoe is also right on the money.
    "Variety is the spice of life".
    Half the fun is figuring up the Setup for the Shave !

11. wolfemi1

wolfemi1 New Member

You know, I'm still experimenting with creams, razors, etc., but I've found that I seem to like cheaper stuff (Taylor, Nancy Boy, etc.) a lot better than more expensive (Trumper et. al.). Go figure.

12. sysiphus

sysiphus Member

I don't get into the "high end" stuff anyway, probably because I don't wanna have it melting all over me. Since that is the case, I have found that I can get by reasonably cheaply, 6 bucks for the SS, 50 or so for the Vulfix, dime a blade and some MB soaps.

Other day I find myself away from my "normal" shaving gear, and use a $3.99 VDH brush, a buck-a-puck VDH pink soap, and a Tech I got for 6 dollars. That was a shave every bit as good as my "normal" shave, the later was great, the brush worked well, and a Tech with a 'Crystal' IP can't be touched!

You can get a GREAT shave for under 10 bucks! Everything else is just fluff! My dos pesos, anyway.

13. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

As far as boring goes I probably would get bored with the same stuff every day. In fact I did get a little bored with the same Colonel Conk soap for about twenty years, that's how I ended up in the forums. I still really like Conk almond, just not every day.

I also do like the high end stuff, I just believe it is good to show off the low end occasionally for those lurking that might think we are just a bunch of shave snobs. For me the difference between the good low end stuff and the high end stuff is about like the difference between gold and silver. Both are good and in the Olympics the gold goes to the one who is just a little better.

14. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Dennis,
    Are the Burma Shave pucks still available. I bought several about six months ago when they were on clearance at my local supermarket and I haven't seen them anywhere since. I have three left but I sure would like to know where I could get more. Great stuff and as you say CHEAP!

15. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

You should be banished for saying that you got bored with the Conk Almond :rofl

Thats the first soap i was ever introduced to....and use to have a girlfriend that always dug her nose in my clean shaved face to smell it. Said it was wonderful. I still thnk its one of the best scented soaps and for the price..a good shaving soap at that.

16. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

You try TWENTY years with one soap. The first 18 years were actually pretty nice. Then I got stuck on some gel thing that I don't want to talk about. Then when I thought I would have to re-order another store sized shipment, (that's how I used to have to get it), I thought, "I'll check the internet". Well the rest as they say is history. ;)

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well.......im glad you found your way to us. There definately are many different soaps with wonderful smells out there.

18. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:eek: I've never gone 5 days with the same soap :happy001

But, I did go for many years with the canned glop.....although I did have quite the variety ;)

19. Will

Will Nevermind

You mean to tell me you had 17 cans of goop?

Yea, so did I.

My first AD was CGAD.

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Heck yeah - I even had the Conair thing to heat them up

Old Spice was the preferred kind.......$1/can at Walgreens ::