Back to the Beginning

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Redrock, Sep 3, 2019.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

X2

I was looking in cabinet and found a hoard of shaving Soap Pucks. Plus what I have on my shelf bathroom, decisions decisions.

brit and Redrock like this.
  2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I have an soft spot for British Gillettes as well. What have you in your collection?

brit and Redrock like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I can see myself making two more purchases before next summer...just the two. First one will be the coveted Stoylin Tony Award champion(next Jan.)and then probably another Clubman Special Reserve aftershave later in the winter(although I might make it part of a small package order). Don't need anything further until then.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Redrock and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

#15 oc and #15 3rd gen aristocrats,#22,flat plate crat jr in canadian case,2 french #44 rfb,77 rfb, 1945 #77 3 piece rfb in black case,6 flat bottom techs in various cases,2 early rockets,red tip rocket on the way,rhodium tv rocket on the way,#58 aristocrat jr,2 60s flaretip rockets,empire goodwill set,flat bottom new oc..new tech hybrid ,and 2 service tech sets..plus some duplicates..

Redrock and BlueShaver like this.
  5. BlueShaver

Wow.

Which one is your fav?

6. brit

brit in a box

i like them all for various reasons but stand alone favorite would be the #77 new rfb..

Redrock likes this.
  7. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I've settled on Tabac and Cella for everything except the summer months when I switch to Proraso Green Line products for the cooling and freshness. Proraso Green (Menthol and Eucalyptus Splash) is my favorite A/S by far and I often use it during the winter months for that blast of chill when I go outside in the cold.

8. BlueShaver

It's funny because i find something special about the English Gillettes as well. I have user grade examples only (married life ftw) but i want to use them so its ok.

I have a #66, #22, #15oc, #58, #59, #44RFB, #24, Sportsman and a 7o' New.

I want a series 2 #21 to complete my aristocrats and i do like the idea of a #77.

The #58 is my favourite. Design perfection imho.

9. brit

brit in a box

the 58 is a beautiful razor..even the case is cool..i had a 59 but sold it to a buddy when i got the 58..all of mine get used as well.the 77 rfb is a great daily driver for me when i am on an oc binge..

Redrock and BlueShaver like this.
  10. BlueShaver

Do you find the two piece and three piece RFB to shave the same?

11. brit

brit in a box

i will give you my humble thoughts sir..my 3 piece 44s are for the french market and have hollow handles so i use them with a fluted solid handle from a canadian military tech set..the 77 2 piece is fantastic,great balance and weight but is silver plated and will tarnish..thats ok though..straight out of the box the 77 is nicer because of the better balance..i do believe the heads are the same..at least the ones i have..interesting though is the fact that my 44s don't tarnish and have a similar rhodium hue like the new tech hybrid. but nobody knows what they plated with.the 1945 77 set is a 3 piece with a thin tech handle and flat bottom tech cap,and is definitely nickel plated. it has that grayish nickel hue to it..i have my grandad to thank for my brit gillette collection as i wanted what he would of or could have used.my main objective was to get a service tech set from his ww2 era..the rabbit hole got deeper from there..hope i wasn't too long winded..:)

BlueShaver and Redrock like this.
  12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Try this too for a blast of menthol/coolness. Good stuff.
    clubman-osage-rub-14oz-2.jpg

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I've been on a mostly-no-buy for a long while now. I built up a stash early on, and honestly got tired of chasing increments of "improvement". I still look for razors in the wild - thrill of the hunt, looking for something I don't own - because I enjoy collecting them. Blades? I've settled on what I like. Brushes? I have two that do 100% of the work. Soaps? I've boxed up the vast majority, along with my razors, and keep a small handful out and in easy reach.

Right now?
    Tabac
    AoS Lavender
    Institute Karite
    Williams
    Stirling Iced Pineapple

And honestly, I'm quite content. I will gladly replace Tabac, Stirling Iced Pineapple and Williams. The others I enjoy but own only because I found ridiculous clearance deals and I liked the AoS bowl.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.