Back to using preshave oil

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Gelf Lover, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I've had to go back to using my homemade preshave oil (olive oil, castor oil, and glycerin) again. I have had a lot of problems trying to get the hair on my chin to soften and it seems that nothing works. I have tried all kinds of different methods (i.e. HTT, conditioner, Noxzema, even staying in the shower for an hour and doing all of the above) nothing has worked. Also my skin seems to have become more sensitive as well and I have been getting more blemishes during all of this. I have read other places that using preshave oil is just because you have poor prep, but I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this situation as well?

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Bram, I go back to using my pre-shave oil every now and then. I don't think it is a prep-issue. It is just a skin chemistry issue for me. I go through periods of better skin condition and worse. Occasionally I get rough shaves with irritation even though I have changed nothing in my prep. I start using the pre-shave oil again and things start to get better. Then I can quit using it again for a while.. I don't use it all the time because I don't want build-up on the brushes...

For some, it is an unnecessary step; but it is occasionally needed for others.

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

That preshave oil you list there is basically the same as the Oil Cleansing Method....that's my prep and I get fantastic results with it....

4. selhov

selhov New Member

hi gelf lover i have sensitive skin i went to my local health shop and bought theas oil,s almond oil base oil, pure lavender oil and tee tree oil and fhrancincens oil lavender soothing/ tee tree for inflamation and infection/ and francincence for the repair of bamaged skin it help,s me about 20ml almond base oil and three drop,s of the other oil,s mix in one bottle and put on skin,after shaving it takes time but its soothing and calmes the skin it work,s for me but i dont no if it work,s for another person as wee all have difrent skin,s ,but it cant do any harm to use natural product,s good luck hope you,r problem get,s better:D

5. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Thanks Matt and Justin. It makes me feel better knowing that it is an acceptable prep.

I came up with this recipe based off of the OCM. My shave today was using the oil and a HTT for about 3 minutes. It did wonderfully, all of my beard was softer then usual. But I think that I use more then your suppose to but I should be able to use less once my skin gets better.

As for my post shave I use an alum block and witch hazel. I did find out that I wasn't leave them on long enough though and today I left it on for about 5 minutes or so and then did a cold water rinse. This way did a lot better then anything that I have done before.

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I'm using the OCM too, but with mainly grapeseed oil now instead of EVOO. I do it like Matt does, in the shower. Then for a preshave, I sometimes use an organic bump treatment (lotion with a lot of Tea Tree oil). I also leave warm lather on my face for a couple of minutes before starting the first pass (thanks to Bong for this advice).

On top of ever changing skin (like Justin), I've got hard water, so I frequently use an uberlather (sc, ss and glycerin). Witch Hazel after the cold spash, and I let this dry completely before applying any AS. I think this and the OCM have equalized my skin variations to where I almost never have a blemish or dry skin.

It's weird to me that our faces can require this much stuff to keep from getting dry or blemished. My old man used a SuperSpeed, cheap drug store blades, palmolive brushless sc in a tube, and old spice AS. He never had skin problems that I knew of.

Anyway, I think your prep is a great one, Bram. If it works for your face, then it's the right thing to do.

7. Compa

Compa Member

Hmm.
    I saw a home-made recipe for pre-shave oil it had the same formula Gelf mentioned except it used Lavender oil instead of glycerin.
    I am curious, is this the same oil you use in aromatheralpy? and Can I use other scents?

Also, how do you apply it? obviously before the shave but.. at which point? and do you rinse clean your face after it?
    Do you apply it before each pass?
    Do I ask too many questions? :p

If this reduces even more the red on my neck I want to try it for sure :) 'cause I want my shave to be something superior than the cartridge shaving and not just "another way to feel the same" :)

8. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

A pre-shave oil won't make up for poor prep. I use a self brewed concoction similar to Truckie's recipie for OCM. Some find it helpful, others don't.

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:happy102

No, not at all....:D

I'm not quite sure how a "true" pre-shave oil is used, but in my personal opinion, I'd definitely rinse the face clean. You'll still feel an oily residue, and softer skin.

Another option would be to try the Oil Cleansing Method, and use the oils in that manner (to me it's a combination of face cleansing, prep and pre-shave oil).

And, lastly, there is also something known as an "Oil Pass" where the last pass (ATG or touch up) is done with an oil or oil blend. I've never tried it personally, but there are members here who swear by it.

10. MsBlackwolf

I use an oil pass when BBS really matters. It's the final touch up pass and then followed with a warm water rinse, then a cool rinse. An oil pass isn't something I'd do on a hot/humid day, but very good in the winter with a warmed oil. I use a different blend for the oil pass that is lightly scented to match AS Splash products.

11. Compa

Compa Member

Poor prep hmm...
    Last time I shaved (Before today) I only used a skin cleaner. I throw some warm water to my face, then I wash for around 3 mins and rinse again with warm water.
    After that I start to prepare the lather directly to my face.

Today I tried to add the "hot towel" (It was actually my shirt but I wanted to experiment) and I think it did a slight difference (or at least it felt good), I had a lot less red dots (blood) than the last time I shaved ATG but maybe that was also due to the fact that I'm shaving more slowly and with way less pressure, trying to follow the direction of my grain. Still need to perfect my lather but I'll get there.
    I think I'll go during the week to buy a small towel..

Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I explain to them what I do to shave hehe
    "ALL THAT just for a shave?" :p
    They don't understand...

12. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Hey, sounds to me like you're doing just fine. :happy088 Most of us didn't get it right the first few times. And you are so right, "They don't understand..." :D

13. MsBlackwolf

NO pressure!! Pressure on the razor is a bad thing.
    It won't be long and you'll be able to shave in far less time than it takes you now. Try a nice hot towel on your face before the shave. Pamper yourself a little.

14. Deryan

Deryan New Member

agreed 100% let your razor do the work and try not to apply any preasure. I use a Gillette Adj (E2) and first shave was the pits..had alot of irratation then my next shave i focused on not putting and preasure and less wrist movement and what a difference since then.

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Sounds like things are starting to come together. A suggestion with the hot towel, some people make their lather and lather their face, then add the hot towel. For that, it doesn't need to be "perfect" lather. And no, no one else gets it...."That takes too long." or (like you said) "All that just for a shave?" or "You're out of your mind!" or "I hate shaving, why would I want to go through all that trouble!" :rolleyes: :happy097 Just smile and nod....:D

16. Compa

Compa Member

n_n hahaha yep, is fun to see people's reaction :D

About the "towel": The shirt was not well placed over my neck so I guess that's why I had a decent cut but not an excellent cut.
    The no pressure tip is the one I always forget 'cause with my cartridges I did used a big level of pressure (back then I didn't cared for the irritation)

BTW, on a side note, today my father shaved (he uses a mach 3 I think) and :O his face was incredible smooth! he has a very sensitive skin (can't even use caned shave cream) so I have to ask him what he does. He didn't teach me how to shave ¬¬ but I'll see if I can teach him how to wet-shave :D (as soon as I stop making my face to bleed and my neck to sore)

I just had a flashback from when I was a kid, sometimes when I gave him the goodbye kiss his beard scratched my cheek haha it was annoying but funny

17. SilverB

SilverB New Member

I personally have to use PreShave Oil. I feel that it just gives me an extra slick protection under any cream.

18. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

19. Fozzy-Beard

Fozzy-Beard Member

Hi Bram,

I do have a very strong wire beard combined with very sensitive skin. Wet shaving became primarly a delight to me when I discovered Pre Shave Oils. After trying a lot my favorite one became the Sommersets Sensitive ( http://www.somersets.com/products/shave-oil-sensitive.php ). It softens my beard very good and is like medcine to my skin. Just 5 drops are enough. I put it on my wet beard, let it react for about 30 seconds while I am preparing the lather and add the lather for a perfect, close shave.

Kind regards Michael!

20. SandBaggerOne

SandBaggerOne New Member

Pre-shave Oil

Have any of you tried Musgo pre-shave oil? I was just considering ordering some. Good price, I was hoping it might help on my stubborn chin hairs too!

Cheers,
    Colin