Bacon Cheddar Potato Soup

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by PanChango, Oct 3, 2011.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Today it feels like fall and is moving towards winter. (It will have a low in the upper 30's (4c) tonight)

Since this is about my only free time for the week, I decided to knock out a pot of soup to take for lunches. For this batch, I also used a dried Numex pepper that I grew in the garden this summer. I dropped it in whole while simmering and removed it before pureeing the soup. It kicks it up just a touch without making it overly spicy.

This is just a starting point, feel free to modify it any way that suits you.

Ingredients:
    1 pound of bacon
    5 or 6 nice size potatoes
    1 - 8 oz bag of shredded Cheddar
    1/2 Spanish Onion
    1 - 2 Carrots
    1 - 2 Stalks Celery
    Water
    Salt/Pepper

Cut bacon into small strips and start rendering in the soup pot on low medium. A lower temp is better as it gives you time to chop the rest of the ingredients without burning the bacon. Wash then dice the onions, carrots, celery and set aside. Wash the potatoes then chop into small (1/2" pieces - does not need to be exact but they should be consistent so cook time is uniform.)

Once the bacon has cooked down, remove from the pot and drain on a paper towel. Using the bacon fat, saute the onion, carrot, celery and potatoes until they start to soften.

Once they begin to soften, cover with water and simmer until fully cooked. This should take about 30 minutes.

Use an immersion (stick) blender and puree.

Add the shredded cheese and use the immersion blender to mix.

Add the bacon back into the pot of soup after the cheese has been incorporated. Wait for the flavors to blend before adding too much salt of pepper as both are high in sodium.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Done.

2. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

You had my attention at one pound of bacon. Sounds great!

IAmTheJody and PanChango like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's not the best soup for you, but it is pretty darn tasty.

I forgot the line that you add the bacon back into the pot of soup after the cheese has been incorporated. Wait for the flavors to blend before adding too much salt of pepper as both are high in sodium.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    yes, please.

PanChango likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Bacon! - Check
    Taters - Check
    Cheese - Check
    Bacon! - Check

Dale! My long lost brother / uncle / nephew / step-something!

PanChango likes this.
  7. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I quit listening at Bacon ... :ashamed001:

I must make this when it gets cold here. :biggrin: Thanks for sharing!!

PanChango likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yum! Yum!

PanChango likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

:signs011:

PanChango likes this.
  10. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recipe. It's not that cold here in Texas yet, but I can't resist the pound of bacon so here goes. I will report the results!

PanChango likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Your right about both the temperature in Texas and the fact that you want it anyway. Enjoy the soup!

PanChango likes this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It is a meaty soup.

It is definitely a bit heavy for warm weather, but hits the spot on the chilly fall days.

If anyone does make it, please report back. I would like to hear your impressions.

13. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Thank you Dale for the wonderful recipe. The whole family loved it. My dad is going through chemo and radiation right now and they took out all of his teeth a couple of weeks ago (which was a big blow to his spirits). I have been searching for something good that i could make him that he would be able to eat. I pureed the soup again after I added the bacon so it was a creamy consistency. Dad loved it so I am very grateful to you.

14. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am glad that your dad enjoyed the soup and that it helped to lift his spirits through a difficult time.

Best of luck to the both of you.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great soup, gotta cook some up when I get home.
    Thank you for sharing.