Bacon...What's Not to Like?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 2, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay, I admit to having a soft-spot for anything bacon-related, but I draw the line at that faux turkey bacon stores often attempt to foist upon the unwary public. Any bacon fans?

I also prefer my bacon be slowly fried (or over-roasted)until crisp—not soggy or floppy (or a my son's young friends use to call it: "Juicy bacon"). For those with a healthy fear of nitrosamine formation I would recommend cooking the bacon at a lower (medium) heat for a longer period rather than a quick hot-pan fry.

Home-made Bacon: you know what's in it (levels of nitrite), and can select the meat. Sure, its more work, but the results can be spectacular—AND will cost less per pound than even the 'cheapest' store bought.

After several days in a honey-maple brine, 13 pounds of pork belly get a healthy dose (14 hours) of applewood smoke....
    [​IMG]

Sliced & ready to cook or pack away:
    [​IMG]

Plus the essential Bacon Press to keep uniform heat and pretty, flat bacon slices:
    [​IMG]

Omaney, Boojum1, BamaT and 9 others like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's some nice looking bacon!

3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

HR, thanks for a most enlightening post. I don't enjoy the taste of bacon (weirdo, I know), but I understand its appeal. I have used bacon strips of another sort as a post-shave measure. image.jpg

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

oh bacon, how I do love thee. Let me count the ways... One yummy bite at a time, that is.

I like my bacon floppy. It's good crispy, too, but if I'm cooking it I like it on the soft ish side. I've even wondered about eating it raw, but it's a pork product so that's right out.

Anyway, good topic.

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Mmmm...Hardly ever get this kind of bacon. We just got some though, was on a great sale! Thick sliced - applewood smoked! I also like to use it to wrap around a baked stuffed chicken breast I often make.

6. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I saw this post and I think I've just experienced heaven.

We have a meat market in town that has the best bacon. I get my ground chuck and bacon there and nowhere else. It is the best bacon I have ever had anywhere. I like mine cooked on medium low, crispy, but meaty texture. Not overly crispy. And am I the only one that still gets maple syrup to dip bacon in even if I am not having pancakes or waffles? Man, I need bacon right now!

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I bet if the US dollar continues to weaken due to hyper-inflation; bacon could be used as currency.

Citizen 1: I'll give you my car for 10 pounds of bacon.

Citizen 2: Not a chance! You will have to give me 15 pounds of bacon for my 10 pounds. (Man, I hope he sucks at math!)

8. Moe

Moe Active Member

Have had some vintage breed bacon hit the shelves in the stores here. Good stuff but a bit pricey, a good treat every so often.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cure and smoke your own bacon, roast your own coffee...

What time you serving breakfast? I'll be right over!!
    Oh, and I do like my bacon crisp, please and thank you. :D
    And my coffee BLACK.

BamaT and HolyRollah like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Great! I've done this before so you're not alone!

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A man after my own heart!If someone wishes to throw in some crispy hashbrowns & fluffy eggs too, I'm in!

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've seen people actually wearing those band aids. They're great for starting conversation ("Say, that isn't REAL bacon , is it?"), but you'll get a fair share of curious stares if you sport these on your face....

ohpaos likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Question: what do they call "Canadian Bacon" in Canada?
    "Bacon"? If so, how do the Canucks refer to the porky strips we're discussing in this thread?

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Speaking of Canadian Bacon—and I was very briefly in my lost post—it's a whole lot easier to make than the...um...'American-style' ('Yank-Bacon'?) in that whole pork loin sections are simply brined, then smoked. Less prep time, and much easier for the novice to achieve good results.

Hang-drying loins (after brining for 4-5 days), then its off to the smoker...
    [​IMG]

6-8 hours in the smoker yields some tasty canadian bacon!
    [​IMG]

BamaT, BigMark, ohpaos and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I don't even know who you are.

BamaT and ohpaos like this.
  16. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Ok, I have been resisting posting on this thread... But... I am almost finished a tub of this product. It is actually a pretty good cream - no idea who manufactures it. It had its own thread here on TSD a few months ago. Just saying!
    image.jpg

ohpaos likes this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

So you went in whole hog?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

BamaT, jeraldgordon and ohpaos like this.
  18. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Coolio! Now I know why some cuts look like the piggy favored fishnet stockings :D
    image.jpg

19. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I did! You know, the back label warns you that you could be eaten by bears if you use it!

ohpaos likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

go hog-wild if you love peanut brittle, bacon AND chocolate....
    [​IMG]

ObiDon likes this.