Bad Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by voice940, Apr 4, 2011.

1. voice940

voice940 Member

Hope this is in the right place. I was shaving the other day with a brand new blade, and some new product which I bought at TSD store (some Old Spice shave cream), and gave my face a nice shave... or at least I TRIED to give it a nice shave... I ended up with more nicks than I've EVER had on a single shave. So I tried to shave the next night with my old standby (Taylor of Old Bond Street), and ended up with the same results. After those two shaves, my face has been red and my skin angry.
    Is it possible I got a bad blade>? Maybe the edge wasn't machined properly? Or maybe I drank too much coffee and had the jitters without knowing?:rolleyes:

Your thoughts.... ?

2. In truth ', could be all of these things! I hope it's just a matter of technique, it can 'happen, happens to me sometimes to do even mistakes ....:rolleyes:

3. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

What blade were you using? It may be a bad blade or it may be improper technique. How long have you been using a DE? I'd suggest putting this brand of blade aside and revisiting it in a couple months. You'll be surprised, when your technique improves blades you once thought were garbage may become your go-to brand.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

bad blades do happen. it would be helpful to know what your shaving experience has been so far. Do you have a favorite blade that performs well? If so, then I'd suggest going back to that favorite for a while before trying the problematic brand again.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Was this the first time with this brand of blade? If you've used that brand in the past with no problems, I'd say you got a bum blade. It happens. If it's the first time you tried this brand, it might be three things:

1) The blade doesn't agree with your razor. Different blades will perform differently in different razors
    B) The blade doesn't agree with your face. Derby blades tear me up. Other folks swear by 'em.
    Third) The first blade out of the new box just happened to be the only bum blade in there.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

In addition to what has already been mentioned...

Inspect your razor, is the blade properly aligned? If it is properly aligned and you have had good experiences with this razor then set the questionable blades aside for now.

Like has already been alluded, it could be the razor doesn't work with that blade, it could be that the blade doesn't work with your beard/skin, it could be the blade was bad, it could be that something else in the universe was out of alignment....

7. voice940

voice940 Member

To answer questions

Sorry, I forgot to mention that part... I was using a Derby Extra blade... the only brand I've used in my 6 months of DE Shaving.
    I can't imagine it's technique; as I haven't changed technique since finding out what works here at TSD. The razor itself is a Merkur Hefty Classic... which I like because it's easily heavy enough that I don't have to apply much if any pressure.
    As far as alignment; I didn't put much thought into that. Is this a common issue? I guess I figured that the blade kinda "sets itself" so to speak.
    Thanks for the replies thus far!

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

alignment isn't a big issue with modern razors. It's a bigger problem with Old Type Gillettes (around 1910 and earlier) that were designed to work with thicker blades. They can use modern thin blades but the user must be careful to make sure they're properly seated. Otherwise you can carve yourself up a bit.

Sounds like you have a bum blade. It happens. Chuck it and get a fresh one.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Alignment can also happen with some modern razors as well. For example, some of the Parker models don't tightly hold the blade in place until you tighten the head. In the process of tightening the head, the blade can shift. As a result, one side of the razor is very aggressive and the opposite side is very mild.

10. voice940

voice940 Member

thanks

thanks again for the replies... the blade got donated to the trash gods, and I'm back on track to a happy, close shaven face.