Bad Horsey...to re-knot or not

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Azarius, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

This was the first Horse hair brush that I had purchased, the Vie-Long Sardinero 13800. Just look at how awful this knot is. I am thinking of doing a re-knot, but really am not sure if it is worth the effort or expense, as I can get a new Semogue boar for about the price of a knot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

awake2shave likes this.
  2. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

How much do you like the feel of the handle Arley?
    If you not in complete love with it just toss it and and get some thing fresh.
    At least that is my 2 cents :)

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

This. I mean, otherwise, why beat a dead horse? [​IMG]

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

WOW! How many shaves do you have on it? It looks like you got a bad horse. Have you emailed Vie-Long with those pics and asked for an explanation :angry019:? I have a couple Vie-Longs with a few weeks of shaves on each of them,but they still look almost new. My #6 from Bestshave is my favorite. I love my horsies!! :wave:

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you like the handle, then it is simply up to finding a knot that is suitable to it and to you.

If you do not like the handle, put it up on sale and see who will take it off your hands, but don't toss it. Someone is more than likely hunting for a handle and will pay for the handle and postage.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Because a live horse will kick you into the next zip code if you did that to him or her! :p

macaronus likes this.
  7. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I actually like the handle a lot, that was one of the main reasons that I had purchased it.

As far as how many shave, maybe a total of 15, not that many. It actually started to look that way within the first week. Brian from Krampert's Finest Bay Rum has been kind enough to offer re-knotting it for me, I just need to find the right size knot for it.

I think I will be using a 20mm Super Badger Fan shape knot, as I prefer a fan shape over a bulb shape when it comes to badger hair brushes.

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I had a knot do the same thing. the vendor and Vie-long were very good about replacing the brush. If you like the brush and handle I would try getting it replaced.

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

I dunno, but from my experience with the Vie Long Dyed 2 band, that look is typical...... My 2 band took about 6 months to look like that though.. Now IMHO the Vie Longs in natural Brown are awesome as are the Bestshave #6, (if you get a good #6)

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Excerpt from "The Brush: Basic Information Everyone Should Know." I added this information to the sticky fairly recently, so you might have missed it. The above quote has info on how to untangle your brush and also on how to keep it from happening again.

11. 178-bplatoon

I should have mentioned my two Vie-Longs are also natural browns. I have 3 BestShave #6's. One with the wooden handle and the other two have been rehandled. One of the rehandles is not as dense as the other one, but still works well.

12. jacksam

jacksam New Member

You can simply cut bent bristles.

13. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

do you reminder what size knot is in the #6?

14. 178-bplatoon

I honestly don't remember the knot size. The site says its 25mm dia. with a 50mm loft and that seems correct. I want to say the new handle my friend put it in was 24 but I can't swear to that. The #6 dia. looks smaller than my Vie-Long Barber brush. I will say this while the QC can be a little iffy, all the #6 brushes I have work well for me and its the only brush I've used now for well over a year. For me at least this brush works and you really can't beat the price.

newb likes this.