Bad-shave puzzle solved

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Leisureguy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

On Monday I had a terrible shave---my once-sharp brand of blade (the Treet Blue Special) was tugging, not cutting, and the whole thing was unpleasant. I did replace the blade, but the new one (of the same brand) still didn't cut well. I worked on the problem, and I believe I have solved it once and for all.

This morning I tried to replicate the Monday morning shave by going through the same prep: quick wash with MR GLO, TOBS St. Andrews shave stick, and the Simpsons Major Super brush. I realize now that I was eager to get to the shave, so probably rushed the prep: I held the brush under the hot water, gave it a little shake, and brought forth the lather from the soap my beard had scraped from the shave stick. The lather comes up quickly, and I immediately set to shaving—as I did again this morning, with the same razor, same brand of blade, and same result: “dull” blade, with lots of uncomfortable tugging, not much cutting.

So I stopped, wet the brush more, and worked more with the lather. The Simpsons Major sports a small brush—40 mm loft, 19 mm knot—so once shaken the amount of water remaining in the brush is not great. With this brush, more than with a larger brush, adding more water is essential. With the water added, the lather did not thin but simply became more ample (and wetter). I added a little water yet again, brushed over and into my beard thoroughly, and picked up the razor once more.

What do you know? The blade was no longer “dull”—it cut smoothly, effortlessly, and cleanly. I had a great shave, and finished with Jade East aftershave, very nice.

The lesson I learned is to take more account of the brush in the prep, and consider how much water it brings to the lather. Moreover, after making sure the lather holds sufficient water, give it time to soften the stubble. Then the blade can do its job.

Looking at the blade as the problem, you’ll note, would have solved nothing. I’m reminded of the time that our dryer seemed to be on the blink—it just wasn’t getting the clothes dry in the usual spin cycle. We called the repairman, and he quickly fixed the problem. The dryer was fine, but the belt was worn on the washer so in its final spin it wasn’t getting the water out of the clothes as it should. A new belt on the washer, and the dryer started working fine once more.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

good news

Thanks for the update Michael.
    Ive been following along since the start of this and Im happy to learn its not the blades.
    The Treet Blues are finding a way into my routine with my Slant and Ive wanted to like them for awhile.....no matter what others may say ;)
    Im using the Rubbing Alcohol dip b4 drying and I am enjoying the shaves a lot.
    3 is about all I get out of a TB but thats OK.
    I still dont like the Feather in the Slant and I feel like I could do better than my beloved Derbys.
    anywho......
    Good to know we never stop learning, aint it ? :D

3. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Yeah, there's always more to know. I went and mimicked my actions before the mirror and saw that for the bad shave I probably lathered (from brush touching the soap on my face until I put the brush down to pick up the razor) for a total of 10-12 seconds. No wonder my beard was still tough.

I then mimicked the good shave this morning, when I used the same brush: complete lathering time (including hitting the brush with a little more water twice): about a minute.

The problem didn't occur with larger brushes because they not only hold more water to begin with, but I also lather longer with a larger brush to make sure it's completely full of lather. With the smaller brush: not only less water, but shorter lathering time because I could see the brush was full of lather.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm glad to hear you figured out the trouble. :)

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Its always interesting to do shaving investigation :)

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I can only second that. Letting the (wet) lather soak for at least two, better three minutes is an essential part of pre-shave preparation.