Bad shave with gold dollar 100

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Ceferguson, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

i already know what many will say, I bought a gold dollar 100 on eBay shave ready. I paid $24 with free shipping. I only bought it because I'm traveling out of the country with my wife and wanted to continue to practice straight razor shaving. If they took it in customs oh well. When the razor came there son I boughtnit from grinded down the shoulders and put an edge on it. I shaved with it this morning and it did not pull any more than a new TI glen sharpened for me, I am new to straight razor shaving so I know my technique will play a big role but my face was on fire after the second pass. It shaved with little pulling but my face was on fire. That never happened with my two TI razors. What does everyone think was the cause. Other than being Chinese made again I just got it in case customs took it.

Jayaruh likes this.
  2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I have one of those myself, more as a curiosity that I could afford. It does shave, but not as close or as comfortable as my John Williams, and because it is stainless, you have to strop it for much longer than the standard 30 linen 60 leather passes. I usually do 100+ on the leather and by then I'm getting a serious cramp in my hand. I also find it to be awkwardly heavy to use, so I only resort to it if I have to. If it didn't pull but left your skin irritated on the second pass, my question would be how aggressive was that second pass? That's what usually gets me is being too aggressive in my second pass. Anyway, that's where I would look first. Also, a thought just struck me that if it is awkward for you like it is for me, maybe your angle slipped a little and caused it to want to dig in. I have found that the lighter weight razors tend to be more reliable at not irritating because I can maintain better control. Good luck, and I hope your shaves get smoother for you.

178-bplatoon, Ceferguson and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Ceferguson

Thanks for your response and maybe you are correct it was completely my angle because it didn't pull but it's not as easy to shave with as my TIs. I get redness on my neck with the TI but I'm learning and the same happened when I started DE shaving. But wow my face was on fire after the gold dollar but no cuts or nicks. Maybe I won't bring a straight razor when I leave the country and just use the gold dollar to practice keeping the blade flat on the hone.

4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Might be a good plan for now. My travel straight is one of those cheap 1/2 DE holders, and it's super easy to use. It weighs maybe half as much or less than even my lightest true straights. After you really have the technique locked-in, you'll find it a little easier to maneuver the heavier blades.

5. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Gd razors require alot of "love" to truely shave ready. TIs on the other hand are high quality and other than honing, require no modification.

That being said I have had excellent shaves with modified GD razors but it took alot of effort and experimentation before they became useable.

Ceferguson likes this.
  6. kn4wd

kn4wd Member

what did you finish it on? sounds like the edge needs some refining. while a 1k properly set bevel would cut hair it would leave a harsh edge, usually around 10k or 12k is where they start to shave well

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Your TI was most likely finished on a Nakayama that is where I normally take them,,

That edge tends to be exceptionally smooth and skin friendly for a TI

I actually keep a GD that I customized for myself in the rotation just so I never speak about them without ever trying one LOL,,, they tend to become much more skin friendly with a more mild Natural stone finish...

Strop the ever living stuffing out of it on linen and leather to calm the edge in or re-finish on a hone

Ceferguson and Mr. Oldschool like this.
  8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Have 3 Gold Dollars in my rotation. They all shave well. 2 I honed, 1 was shave ready. Each does well on a pasted CrO cotton web strop before shaving with it.
    The 2 that I hones were no more difficult than most eBay blades.

Ceferguson likes this.
  9. Ceferguson

I will practice honing on the GD to see if I can hone one well enough to shave with. In took it to a Norton 8 k and made 20 passes and about that many on a naniwa 12000 then about 10 laps on a pasted strop them 50 on canvas and 100 on leather I will keep stopping and test it this weekend