Badger brushes, horse brushes and anthrax - a history

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ajc347, Sep 29, 2018.

1. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Well, that explains it.

mrchick likes this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Note to individuals traveling to 1920's Manhattan- As tempting as it may be, do not purchase shaving brushes from street vendors as their wares may not have undergone proper sterilization procedures.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Crap. There go my plans for last weekend.

AGHisBBS, mrchick, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats. I didn't realize you made parole. Much has transpired while you were in the Big House. Just stay with synthetic brushes, and you should be OK. ;)

6. brit

brit in a box

did gillette market this when the canned goo came out?

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

NOS from the twenties or before may be questionable even in the action of re-knotting. I've been known to take extra precautions such as a filtered respirator and extra care on cleanliness.

I'm not the hypochondriac type and I use vintage gear nearly exclusively, but anthrax is no joke and is the reason that ALL my pre-sterilized brushes are re-knotted.

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

20180930_112447.jpg
    my canadian ruuberset and fuller both have original knots and both say sterilized on the bottom. i have noticed that new brushes do not state that anymore.any idea of the era of these brushes?40s -6o?

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My guess would be 50's or 60's depending on if they were bakelite or not. The one on right looks to be an older style.

mvd and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

cool ,thank you..

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I found Ever Ready, Rubberset, Erskine, Simms and Made Rite copied each other. Some others ones such as Fuller, Klenzo, Stag, Rex, and Mohawk contracted some of the major brush makers to manufacture their brushes.

mvd and brit like this.
  12. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Now that you know they are anthrax-free, are you going to use them, re-knot them, or....? Just curious.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

the rubberset on the left has been a nice brush to use. the fuller needs to be repaired and the knot is quite stained.because the handle comes apart at the joint it would be easier to re knot it.

Enrico and mvd like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That Fuller restored would look great repaired, weighted, given a high polish and re-knotted with a nice badger or boar!

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

you bet, that is my plan. i have a new marine epoxy kit.i just purchased an omega 10005 beechwood with nice boar knot. in a recent post.being a model car builder i have very fine sandpapers, dremels and polishing kits.i plan to do this, take my time and post it.i have seen your restos and they are fantastic. any tips or pointers , i would be grateful.thank you, gary. where is the best place to source knots.?which would you recommend ,badger or boar.? i like either..is the omega a worthy knot? the black part of the brush doesn t feel brittle like bakelite..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Enrico likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

One pointer I'd give to start (I've had to learn a few times) protect the handle with electrical tape. A dancing Dremel across its surface, is nearly impossible to sand and polish out. PM me any time you have questions or need direction. I like both badger and boar, but lean a bit more to the badger. Omega has nice knots for boar and @Jayaruh has made up a nice sizing chart. I'm looking at purchasing badger from Frank shaves or Vigshaving.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

thank you keith,i will let you know when i get started,gary

Enrico likes this.