Bar Soap vs Body Wash Showdown

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Hoss304, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I've been a long time body wash user but recently I decided to revisit some of the bar soap of my youth . I started reading and watching vids on the topic. Which do you think is best ? How do you use them ? Have a favorite , brand loyal? Of the bar soaps I've been trying a few stand out in the crowd. I'll post updates as I continue to use them. If there's any u think I should try just shout. I try to stick with stuff the average guy can afford. I'm a steelworker so sometimes a good shower is well needed. Just thought it'd be a interesting topic since we all shower ! [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Quit the body wash (for the most part) and switched to bar soap quite a while ago mostly because of the expense of body wash.

I don't keep the bar in the shower for extended periods of time to reduce unnecessary melting and/or gooey soap mess.

I've got cheap ones like Yardley and Brut ($dollar a bar) and more expensive ones like Castelbel and Nesti Dante. The pricier ones I pick up on the cheap at stores like T J Maxx and Marshals. Even at $4 or $5 a bar, usually it's big ole huge bath bars and it's still way cheaper than even budget body wash.

Obviously a glycerine bar will melt fast but a big hard bar of triple milled lasts a very long time.

Bodysuit, AGHisBBS and Hoss304 like this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

All bar soap, all the time. Stirling Bath Soap the past 3+ years.

4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I used to use body wash until I found wet shaving. Now I switched to bar soap and haven't looked back. The bar soap is much better for your skin plus it seems to last quite a bit longer. A few good brands are:

Razorock
    Lisa's Natural
    Soap Commander
    MWF
    PDP

Hoss304 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like to use soap made by Shugar Soapworks, also under the Venezia brand. High quality soaps which they also give to dollar stores. They are big bars, 8oz and last a long time. Also a company that donates many things to the needy.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Living with two girls has had me at times using very foo foo smelling body washes, I believe it's Dove that has an outstanding one.
    With that in mind I always have a bar soap at the ready. I'm here to tell you that Stirling Soap makes the best bar soap I've ever used. Best!
    RazoRock has a nice line, but Stirling, kicks my backside everytime.

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Bar soap for me; just simple scented Savon de Marseille usually. Good and affordable.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bar soap, Dove Men + Care. Moisturizes pretty good and I like the scent.
    Tried body washes, don't care for 'em.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Bobcat likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I remember using Irish Spring in high school and loved the scent. Now it's Striling bath soaps for me.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Bodywash for me-probably for the last 25 years I'll say. Serves as my "pre-shave" as well.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Try Dial 4 Men in the winter months.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Me too, exactly. I keep my head buzzed too, so the Stirling Soaps are my shampoo also.

Bobcat likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm also a fan of bar soaps. I can make them myself and they do not require preservatives.

Bodysuit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I like Ivory soap. Cheap and it works great.

16. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I've been using Dove Men + care past few days. It's great. Definitely a stand out in the current lineup . I shave my head in shower usually. I used it for a shave . It did fine.

17. DE Cartman

DE Cartman Well-Known Member

My dermatologist says to use Dove or Oil of Olay for sensitive skin.

18. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

I use Irish Spring body wash with the exfoliating "crap". I've been a mechanic the last five years in Texas and always in construction before that so need to scrub up has been a major! I shave my head in the shower (water off during) and don't touch my face for years now. I use Grandpa's Miracle Pine Tar soap bar on my beard and tough greasy spots and a charcoal sponge when needed.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Why not just Marseille soap? Is that considered too harsh?

20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive bounced back and forth between body wash and bar soap. I find that I prefer body wash because I find that it lathers easier, washed off my skin easier and moisturizes my skin better.
    Bar soap is a bit cheaper but with most body washes, you can also use them to wash your hair, so youre saving money by not needing shampoo.

Paul Turner likes this.