Barbasol Floating Head??? Or, Is It???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jul 10, 2018.

1. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

I got a barbie floating head on ebay 5 months ago, it was a functional razor and my first few shaves just blew my mind, yes it is a aggressive and man you can feel that blade, ymmv of course but to me it was aggressive. I found it extremely effecient, and loved the heft and length of the handle so I decided to restore it. I had a fatboy once revamped with colors to match the Portugal flag and it is really cool. But I wanted the Barbie to look more traditional, it had serious scratches and it looked like the cap was scraping concrete. well Chris Evatt just finished it and it is currently being shipped..should see it by next Wednesday. .. look at this beauty, chris is awesome!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EzraCobb

wow, Did u get the razor new? What a treasure with the mint case. The Barbie really is a hidden gem, what an amazing razor with serious heft and perfect blade exposure

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. I picked it up off the bay a couple years ago. I don't think it was used before me, but it may have been a few times. I have used it a few times, but it is more of once in a while type thing. The checkering is still sharp. The case is a little dry and there is a water mark on the shipper, but it is in good shape.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That looks great.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What kind of plating?

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. EzraCobb

Good Question, haha. I don't want to say the wrong thing. I left it to Chris, as this razor was really beat up! Let me read his emails and get back to you.... I gotta say Chris is a total gentleman!!!

7. Jonnyz67

Jonnyz67 New Member

I just bought one of the Barbasol black handle floating head and completely fell in love with this razor so of course I pulled the trigger on a metal handle Branded Barbasol for $90 it's going to need a replating. I Found a guy on Etsy that's doing replating in Nickel, Gold, And Rhodium anyone for $60 However he said he has never done a Barbasol Floating head razor before because they are plated in Chrome But he told me that he has some Chrome Stripper now that he can do it. Anyway, I just wanted to express my new found love and excitement for Barbasol floating Head Razor! And I'm glad I have Both versions

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any pics of it??
    One thing I've seen with the Barbasols is that when there is corrosion with the Chrome, there is a good chance it's much worse, underneath. Pick your restoration guy wisely.
    I had Chris, at Razorplate.com do mine, years ago, and it was a challenge for him, if that is saying anything.

jmudrick likes this.
  9. Jonnyz67

Jonnyz67 New Member

It’s being delivered today so I will be able to get better photos then what was on EBay but from the looks of it doesn’t look all bad at all the top cap is definitely going to need it most. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

I am in chase for one so if any of you think to let gou one (branded exclusivelly) just PM

11. DaltonGang

Looks in decent shape. When is it going out for plating??

BigMark83 likes this.
  12. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

0-02-04-0f8ab8ff35a0475312a88ed01ef09d31d081c6dce877819cc0e608dcf95695b3_d52740d1.jpg My beauty :) I am inlove. Does anyone have cse to sell me or know anyoe that be willing to sell?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    brit likes this.
  13. EzraCobb

wow - is that original condition? if so amazing.
    Mine literally looked like the cap was scraped against a concreted side walk.... The person that re-vamped it Chris Evatt says there almost all like that - if used a lot, he says these are labor intensive - he knows as he has done a lot - they need to be stripped completely of the old finish - I guess there much harder to do than a old run of the mill Gillette - hence he charges a little more - which was fair - this is really unique and rare razor - just love my Barbie- but it is saved for the rare multi growth days - and it could never be a daily driver - the only safety razor that my face could not handle daily shaves.. but I tell u - with a few days growth and careful attention to angle - NOTHING gives me a closer shave and I don't get irritation, and bbs lasts very long - so consecutive days would be bad.. I am glad chris still did mine - would not shock me if he stopped doing Barbie revamps - the process he described sounded brutal

brit and Frijolero like this.
  14. EzraCobb

agreed- 60 dollar etsy guy - sounds fishy to me? Chris did mine and he went into great detail about the Barbie's and it is NOT a run of the mill super speed or tech to revamp - even with a fat boy adjustable dials - the Barbie sounded to be double the work compared to a Gillette adjustable - be careful on 60 dollar pricing - u don't want to add a layer to the Barbie that needs to be stripped again..

brit, DaltonGang and Frijolero like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Nice looking Barbie. The two that I have, do not have cases.