Barbasol Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PhilNH5, Jun 9, 2010.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

My wife and I were antiquing (is that a word? by using it am I a metrosexual?)
    in VT. I picked up a Barbasol razor. Two piece like my Merkur 38c. Feels slightly heavier than the Merkur. It is in OK shape. I used it this week and it is very aggressive. I am still honing my technique but I like it.

Does anyone know anything about these razors. A Google search gives me one link to a B&B thread with pics. But nothing else.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Never used one myself. They aren't that common and go for a pretty penny on eBay. If I recall, they are on the aggressive side.

Very jealous...

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

+1

+1000

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I thought of trying one, partly because of their reputation for being aggressive. The ones I've seen for sale on the Internet went for more than I was willing to pay; I guess they're rare enough to command fairly high prices in general. The kind of thing you might pick up cheaply at an antique store or thrift shop, though, if the storekeeper isn't a razor expert.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Its getting harder and harder to find antique store deals. Most of the antique store dealers are basing prices on eBay insane prices and thrift stores around here won't sell old razors.

I think this is the third such barbosol find I have read about in the last 2 months. yall are just plain lucky.

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Those are beautiful razors - sleek, elegant, and apparently nicely aggressive. You lucky dog, you!

7. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

Too aggressive for me. I got lucky and got one on the bay once for less than $10 shipped. I think I was the only bidder, too. It's a beautiful heavy razor, but mine wasn't the "floating" model and it was way too aggressive. I ended up selling mine to another member for what I paid.

8. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to get one a copy of years ago for $8 bucks. It is very aggressive. i once used a Feather in it and learned my lesson quickly.

It work well with a milder blade like a Derby.