Barber pics from 1950's Italy

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dslazar9, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

These pics are from my friend and barber, Frank. At my last haircut he was talking about being a barber in Italy before he came to US in early 1950's. These pics are from just before he left. I love the pic of him shaving his dad. He said the vast majority of people in his town (very small) came to his shop instead of shaving themselves as it was much less expensive. He also said that when he first started he was told if he could find customers to shave coming down the mountain into his town, and have em shaved before the shop opened at 7AM, he'd get to keep the entire fee. He said he rarely did it, but his buddy did it almost every day.
    Frankshavesdad.jpg

Frank40\'s.jpg

Hanzo, wyatt46, swarden43 and 3 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent photos! :signs021:

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very Cool! Thanks for sharing!

4. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Those are great. Could you imagine walking in to a shop today and all the barbers were wearing suits. You should post a current picture of your barber, Frank.

5. Dslazar9

Fine idea. I've posted this before, but this is a good place to show it again. I took some pics using a barber's hone-and got one of my blades honed at the same time. He's taught me a lot, and generously given me some of his equipment that he says he's very happy to see get some use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X0KwhUzf1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=JiH4P4x_Qz8

Johnny likes this.
  6. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Where in the Chicago area is his shop located? I'm going to be there in a few weeks and might need a good shave.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Good stuff Danny.

You should see if he has any other cool stuff you can catalog for him here on The Den. Or better yet, see if you can get him to join and start posting barbering wisdom. It could be a sort of way to keep barbering from fading off.

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: Thanks Danny!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes, Sir! Thank you.

10. Dslazar9

In Skokie-a suburb just north of the city. With minimal traffic it would take about 20 min by car from downtown. If your interested PM me and I'll give you
    his contact info. He charges about $25 for a shave and does a fantastic job. Lots of hot towels. He'll give you shave advice while he shaves you if you ask. He's been cutting my hair since I'm about 9 years old-with a decade beak in my 20's. He cut my grandfathers, fathers, son's hair. He has become like family to me.

11. Dslazar9

First, I need to learn how to do two quotes in one post-can anybody give me some direction on that?
    He's a bit of a tech-phobe. I've suggested it and he' s not very interested. When I taped him his first words were unfortunately cut off, he said
    "hello good people on the shave den."

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Multi-quote on the same page is very easy, just hit the reply button on all the posts you want to quote, it will add them into the text box.

Multi-quote across pages isn't available in this version of the software, but I think I read where the developers have it on the list for future releases.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Pick the first item you want to quote with reply then go to the next and hit reply. That will put the next one below the first.

Here is the example from the last two quotes. Note that I picked up your quote first so it shows up first. Remember, whichever one you want to quote first, hit the reply to that one first, then hit the reply to the one you want next to fall below. Then write away. Enjoy!

14. Dslazar9

That was easy, thanks guys!

Dridecker likes this.
  15. battle.munky

Ok, I'm going to try something......

Okie dokie, if this works, all you have to do is quote from a different thread and copy it and paste in the other thread.

Well, here goes......

Dridecker likes this.
  16. battle.munky

Woohoo! There you go! Don't applaud, just throw money ;)

Anyone have anymore questions, just ask and I'll try to be a bit more thorough in response.

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yep, multi-quote will work that way across threads, there just isn't an easy one button way like the old software.

18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

nice pics thanks for sharing:)

19. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I want somebody in a suit to give me a haircut and shave now.

20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Man that is one heck of a lather! I'd like to know what he was using ...