BARBERCHAIR

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by dougr, Nov 24, 2011.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

18K?????

Makes me wonder how much and how old the nice looking barber chair we found on the 2nd Annual TSD Blade Bank Hunt was.....

Granted it didn't get a role in classic movie. But the one we saw was part of something better.

scott wein and Queen of Blades like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The lone thing prompting that price is that it was a movie prop. I've seen another chair from them, actually to me better and it was 4800, absolutely beautiful. These people do quality restorations of chairs apparently they have been at it for decades. The barber chairs of the 1880 and 90' are not hard to come by on ebay or Craigslist and what is driving there price up is the new popularity of barbershop collectibles . Just 5 years ago chairs from all periods fetched much lower prices. I believe old chairs are routinely restored by antique stores who buy them for say 500 to 700 , retore them and there price can rise to 4 or 5 thousand.

1880 to 1890 chairs are I believe not hard to restore. The chairs break down. Missing parts like headrests etc. can be found. The wood parts can be refnished. Upholstered parts simply given to a professional. The metal parts are polished or usually replated in nickel or chrome or in some instances ,depending on the chair, brass. Replating parts would be the most expensive part of the restore and start I believe at 1000.

But for members with a garage and a committment to a nice project it could be pleasantly worked , its not as formidable a task as it looks to go from junk to awesomeness.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One of my favorite movies. However, I don't have anywhere near that sort of scratch!

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Ha! It's been modified. I'd only give 'em a buck and a quarter for it. :p

Johnny likes this.
  6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is ridiculously expensive, but :love029: That thing looks incredible.

alpla444 likes this.
  7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

:signs011: as Rod just said.

8. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks Hanzo, for the history and thoughts. I just thought it was an interesting piece and a look that some of us would enjoy seeing for fun but was not suggesting that anyone here would buy it. Besides, I like pulling Jody's chain occasionally because he takes it so well
    :duel:

IAmTheJody and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

But you know many guys and gals do want a barber chair but feel its a headache or unachievable purchase especially one's like the above. What I was pointing out was that old chairs can be bought and made into something special and desireable.The people who sell restored chairs at unaffordable prices do this . For example on SF Craigslist there is a 1920's Koken for $500 or best offer. The chairs head rest is worth $250 on ebay alone. Offer $300 for the chair . Take a wrench and wd 40 , go dissemble the chair into parts you can haul away in your hatchback and you got a project.