Barbershop America Blue (Franklin Toiletry Company)

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Weasel640, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I came across this Barbershop America Blue Cologne/Aftershave (Franklin Toiletry Company) on eBay today. A search of the forums only brings up a cabinet list that @Dridecker had posted, where he has the matching soap scent.

This was produced in the 70s, so I'm wondering if this is just an Aqua Velva Ice Blue in the Barbershop bottle? They also made a Musk (copy of Aqua Velva?) and an Almond.

[​IMG]

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice decanter! I'd give a couple buck just for the vintage empty bottle. The seller seems to have an over inflated sense of it's value. I pick up vintage Avon or Shulton Old Spice for less than five bucks a bottle.

brit and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Barbershop brand produced several products. I have a wood towel/brush holder that hangs on the walls with a metal tag with their logo. Found it at a garage sale for $5 plus it included a Everready brush and a Gillette Tech. Was too good of a deal to pass up. Needed some work so took it apart and painted it.

As for the aftershave, this is the first i've heard of it. Hard to tell if it would just be AV that subcontracted for them or what. Could do a side by side comparison to see if you detect a difference. Although, This wouldn't explain the Almond scent offering. That bottle looks ornate and quite beautiful, so if you don't like the juice inside, could always decant your favorite aftershave.

brit and Hembree like this.
  4. Weasel640

Well I won't be doing a side by side comparison. I'm not going to buy that one. It's a little rich for my blood, just to see if it matches 70s Aqua Velva that cost me less than $10 for 6oz. I was just asking cause figured others may know.

Hembree likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The blue looks a little too "bright" to be Aqua Velva.

brit and Hembree like this.
  6. Weasel640

Aqua Velva of the 70s was typically lighter than what is offered today. It also smells a lot better!

Paul Turner and Hembree like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

please send some my way sirr...

RyX likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I doubt it is rebranded AV. On a side note I used one of their soaps today. Not the blue one though.

brit likes this.
  9. Weasel640

brit likes this.