Barbershops

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bronco, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

All of the talk around here lately about Osage Rub, Barbercide, various aftershave and tonics took me for a trip down memory lane. It also sent me in search of various products, which I found. Scent really brings back those memories. I remember Mark Twain had this to say about barbers: “All things change except barbers, the ways of barbers, and the surroundings of barbers. These never change. What one experiences in a barber’s shop the first time he enters one is what he always experiences in barbers’ shops afterwards till the end of his days.”
    My own barber John has been around town for over 50 years, he knows how I like my hair and he listens if I offer suggestions. There are three barbers in the shop; John, Tony who was trained in Italy and Bob who came south from Michigan. All I trust to cut my hair especially since John takes ore time off these days.
    After only a half hour in the barber’s chair, you emerge looking good, smelling good, feeling confident, neat and walking taller. Plus, you’ve had a few laughs, hashed over a headline or two, caught up on absent friends and covered your favorite sports. Beat that for $14.
    I remember the first trips to the barber shop when I was young. Miller’s Barber Shop. All the smells and skills were there, even a shoe shine stand, which alone brings up another set of scents.
    There’s something about men and a trip to the barbershop that’s relaxing and satisfying. Some things never change, I’m glad. No stylist with purple hair for me!
    John has promised to give me a couple of lessons on honing and stropping.
    My next adventure in shaving starts soon.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

this barbershop talk makes me misty-eyed. The barbershop I go to is still offering shaves, but no shoe-shine, no real, true barbershop atmosphere....

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Sadly the barbershop of yesteryear is on life support

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I've posted before about Dennis, my barber for 20 years. The only thing I wish he'd do is use a real straight....he uses a shavette for neck touchups and a disposable for shaves. Ugh. But he can't be beat for a good haircut, and his is the best shop in town! Still $10 for a crew cut.

5. RJTrevino1975

RJTrevino1975 New Member

When I was younger I lived right on the border of Mexico, and my uncle, granddad, dad, and I would cross the border and go to the barber shop in Old Mexico. Man that was an experience; I would get a very good haircut, my shoes shined, and a straight razor shave for a very cheap price. And to top it all off the workmanship and skill of the barbers were unparalleled.

I had been looking for an old school barber that could at least provide a very good haircut and a nice straight razor shave.

Thanks to Mike I found a real old school Barber that fills both my requirements.

If your ever in Austin go visit Samwell at Royal Flush Barber, and he will hook you up.

Sam uses all the hair products and shaving cream from the old days so you leave smelling like you left a real barber shop to.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Your nation's capital has many old style barbar shops that do straight shaves. The one I go to is staffed by a group of vietnameese who do straight shaves.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Now, if we could only find a Barbershop that does the Turkish Style. Straight Razor followed by "lining" and end up with the flaming Q-Tip in the ears. :D

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

:rofl Sign me up! :D

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Thats cool to watch...

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Whose nation's capital? :confused:

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

US Nation's Capital. The US Government likes to referr to DC as Your Nation's Capital. Since I work for the Government I tend to folow suit. I repair PCs for a living for the US Federal Government.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ok, but does the US government refer to DC as "your nation's capital" when talking to the UN? :confused:

We have people from all over the world at TSD. DC is certainly not their nation's capital.

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

There are some of the Turkish Shaves on YouTube.....should check them out....that spit string is insance

14. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I printed out the links for John my barber, he's got a computer in the back.
    I'll see what he thinks. :D