Bart Starr, RIP..............

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jimjo1031, May 26, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

2. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

RIP indeed. A winner. I never saw him play live on TV though. My earliest QB memories are of Bradshaw, Staubach, Stabler, Nameth and Jim Hart.

Hammer8 and johnnyflake like this.
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Bart Starr, was truly a real Star! He was an amazing football player, totally dedicated to the game.

Thanks to my father, back in the day, I saw him play live, in 5 or 6 games, in the mid sixties. We lived just outside of Chicago and he was able to get a set of 6 tickets, every now and again, to home games. I am laughing, as I type this, because I remember being at one game, when I truly believed, I was going to freeze to death. It wasn't funny back then!

Hammer8 and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How about Unitas?

5. Paul Turner

I never knew Starr coached the Packers once. A class act in the NFL.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I was a kid and found out I could draw by drawing super heroes like Batman, my first two drawings were Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas. I got them from photos and I had them hanging up in my room for years.

wristwatchb and Paul Turner like this.
  7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

No, I don’t remember seeing Unitas play. I read a little biography on him when I was a kid though. Tough QB.

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Johnny U was one of the very best quarterbacks to ever play the game. I saw him many times of TV back in the day.

Story goes, that he walked onto a pro training field, one day and told the coach that he wanted to play football. The rest is history!

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

RIP

Roll Tide

10. Paul Turner

The only TD the Colts got against the Jets in Super Bowl 3 was when Unitas replaced Morrall at QB. Course it was too late, but he knew how to play the big games.

johnnyflake and brit like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

RIP
    He was Lombardi's QB....Winning Combo...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.